Healthy Choice Tomato Basil Penne  » Food  »
  • I bought this entrée because the description sounded wholesome and fresh – nine-grain pasta with tomatoes, onions, basil, and mozzarella cheese flavored with olive oil
  • I think it would have benefitted with some chicken breast chunks or some other lean meat
  • The Tomato Basil Penne had more flavor and substance, and I recommend it for those looking for a healthy lunch to take to work

• by carblover

I bought this entrée because the description sounded wholesome and fresh – nine-grain pasta with tomatoes, onions, basil, and mozzarella cheese flavored with olive oil. The calorie count is very low (under 300) and you get a third of the recommended dietary fiber by eating it. It’s also vegetarian so it’s compatible with those who don’t eat meat; it has a good amount of protein too.

I’ve learned not to expect too much from microwavable meals because they usually don’t deliver what

they promise. So when I prepared this entrée, I was surprised to discover that the pasta closely matched the description on the box. There were chopped tomatoes that weren’t mushy and I could see the chopped onions. The cheese had kind of disappeared into the pasta but I could taste it on the pasta. The whole-grain pasta was an added bonus because it added a nuttiness to the dish. I couldn’t see the basil but I could taste ...

• it. I could tell it was fresh basil because dried basil tastes entirely different (more minty). The whole dish taste healthy but it was also satisfying. More importantly, I felt better after eating it because it didn’t feel heavy in my stomach and I felt sufficiently nourished.

One negative thing is that I secretly desired some protein. The entrée already had a good amount of protein but I’m used to eating a little chicken or fish with my

meals. I think it would have benefitted with some chicken breast chunks or some other lean meat.

Overall, I was satisfied with the Tomato Basil Penne. It kept me full and I felt good eating it. It was flavorful and taste fresh for a frozen entrée. I have also tried the Portabella Spinach Parmesan and didn’t like it. The Tomato Basil Penne had more flavor and substance, and I recommend it for those looking for a healthy lunch to take to work.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2722021001400828/k2311a0222/2.22.10