GE Spacemaker 269776 Phone and Answering Machine  » Electronics  »
  • As convenient as it was to not have the counters cluttered up, this phone was a complete pain in the neck to actually use
  • I don't like having to strain to hear people, and was very disappointed that right out of the box, the sound clarity wasn't what I would expect
  • I like that up to 40 numbers can be stored, so if you go on vacation you can see almost every person who called while you were away, even if they didn't leave a message
  • But for me, the sound quality is a big problem

• by Jenn

My husband bought us this GE Spacemaker Phone system (model 26976)because I was always complaining that our old phone took up too much space sitting on our small apartment kitchen counter. I was also always having to worry about it getting water or food splashed on it.

This GE Spacemaker phone system features a typical cordless handset, but the base actually mounted right underneath our kitchen cabinets. The slim design tucked right it, and my husband installed the screws in under ten minutes. And voila! The phone was completely off the counters! I was so excited.

I needn’t have been so enthusiastic. As convenient as it was to not

have the counters cluttered up, this phone was a complete pain in the neck to actually use. As I’ve experienced with other GE phones, the sound quality was very poor. I don’t like having to strain to hear people, and was very disappointed that right out of the box, the sound clarity wasn’t what I would expect.

On a consistant basis, I was having to ask callers to speak up, and using the speakerphone was pointless, as well. Unless you basically hold up the handset with the speaker facing your ear, you can barely hear the other person half the time. If I have to hold the phone, the whole ...

• speakerphone feature is without merit.

There were some really cool features on this phone, however. For one thing, a built-in AM/FM radio provided me entertainment while I was cooking. And the answering machine dutifully did its job, recording quite a few messages before the digital memory bank would get full.

The caller ID feature is helpful, as this is a common application people use form their phone service providers. I like that up to 40 numbers can be stored, so if you go on vacation you can see almost every person who called while you were away, even if they didn’t leave a message.

But for me, the sound quality is a

big problem. I need to be able to talk on the phone while I do other things, and I can’t be sitting there in stone silence with one finger pressed in my open ear to try and “hold in” as much of my caller’s voice as possible. I shoulnd’t have to, either. I expect clear, crisp sound whne I make phone calls, and I probably won’t buy another GE phone because they don’t deliver that.

This phone only lasted about a year before my hubby brought home another one. Unfortunately, the new model was also GE. We are still using it, but I can’t wait to replace it. Same problem; very poor sound!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1622021001370828/k2311a0222/2.22.10