American Cooperative School (Calvert)  » Education  »
Calle 10, Calacoto, La Paz, Bolivia
  • When I was living in La Paz, Bolivia some years back, primary schooling for my kids was a big issue
  • Her reading, writing and math skills were established well in this school – 3 subject areas which I consider very important in building a solid foundation for further education
  • If your ever find yourself in La Paz, I would not hesitate to recommend Calvert as a good school for your kids as a primary school
  • And, if price is not an issue, then ACS is the best school to put your kids in

• by bethbarl

When I was living in La Paz, Bolivia some years back, primary schooling for my kids was a big issue. My husband and I did not know where to put our kids especially when the older one started schooling. There are French, German and English schools in La Paz but we decided to put our daughter in the American Cooperative School or Calvert as it is fondly called. The main reason was of all the schools which are there, Calvert is the only one which followed the Western hemisphere calendar. Bolivia lies in the southern hemispheres and like here in Botswana, the school year begins in January and ends in December. However, ACS follows the U.S. school year despite being in the southern hemisphere and as there were choices, we felt that it was the best school to put my kid in.

To make sure that

there would be a smooth transition for the education of my kids in between work postings, we decided to put her in ACS. I did not have any regrets. I belived that this school provided a good basis for my child’s education foundation. I find the teachers compassionate towards new pupils, the curriculum rigorous but apt for primary schooling (ACS follows the U.S. curriculum). The school’s facilities are also modern and the textbooks used at par with those I would expect in a similar European establishment. My daughter still remembers their reading buddy program and the citizens assemblies that they held for the students.

My only complaint is the horrendous school fees. At that time, I had to pay a one time (for life – if my kids would go back to Calvert, for example they I need not pay this fee again) registration fee ...

• of $ 2,500 and a monthly tuition fee of $ 500. Since the office of my husband did not pay for the fees during this period, that hurt a lot in the pocket.

Nonetheless, I was quite happy with the quality of education she received from this school. The result can be seen up to this day as so far, my oldest child did not get any problems in the succeeding schools that she attended even while switching from an English school to a French school then back again to the English one. Her reading, writing and math skills were established well in this school – 3 subject areas which I consider very important in building a solid foundation for further education. My child did not have to repeat a year just moved to the next level with the difference that it was in

another school and country.

The curriculum was well adapted to ensure that the basic subjects are covered. Of course, this is just primary school but it had a huge but positive impact on her which further strengthened my position that choosing a good school to lay a good foundation for any child especially for the primary years is critical.

If your ever find yourself in La Paz, I would not hesitate to recommend Calvert as a good school for your kids as a primary school. Although their secondary school does not have such a good reputation, I am speaking for primary or elementary school. And, if price is not an issue, then ACS is the best school to put your kids in. It follows the U.S. curriculum to ensure continuity and minimum disruption of studies due to relocation, has a competent teaching staff and modern facilities.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5021021000980828/k2311a0221/2.21.10