Canon PowerShot A480 camera
  • I suggest that if you want to buy this camera, please use it delicately
  • Luckily I bought a 4-year warranty for another $40
  • I recommend that you get the extended warranty with this camera

• by hildacq

I had to go to Cambodia for a 2-week trip and I was informed that due to a lot of travelling, we would not be able to charge our electronic devices as often. Hence I was looking for a camera that uses the double A batteries instead of the lithium type so that I can change the batteries once they were dead.

Also, I had a budget of SGD $200. So I looked around

and trust me, it’s really difficult to find cameras using double A batteries these days. Then I saw a red Canon PowerShot A480, which was pretty small and compact. It’s said to be the cheapest of Canon’s range of compact cameras. And I got it for SGD $199. Sounds good yeah?

It turned out that the zoom lens area was very delicate, and within a few days of rough handling, the zooming section of the ...

• camera was spoilt. It’s still usable, but there’s a “cracking” sound when you turn on the camera. I had to live with the “cracking” sound for 2 weeks. I suggest that if you want to buy this camera, please use it delicately. I’m obviously too rough with it, on my Cambodia roadatrip!

I had it serviced when I got back home. Luckily I bought a 4-year warranty for another $40. I recommend that you

get the extended warranty with this camera. Otherwise it’s a good camera, you can capture closeups as well. 10 megapixels, 3.3x zoom, digic III image processor, 2.5″ screen which is just right.

However, this camera is considered bulky compared to models like the Ixus and all. But it’s a good buy considering I got 2 + 2 GB of memory cards, a tripod stand, a casing and a rechargeable 4-battery set. What a good deal!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4321021000800728/k2311a0221/2.21.10