Johnson’s shut-Ins State Park  » Travel  »
Route 1, Box 126 Highway N, Middlebrook, Missouri
  • We could see hundreds of people in the river crawling over rocks and it looked like fun
  • I will admit, we all had some bruises and a few sore spots the next day from sliding of the rocks, but it was worth every bruise
  • I just wish we lived closer to Middlebrook, Missouri
  • I just hope that the next time we get to that part of Missouri, it is in the summer, so we can go back to Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park

• by Sandi

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

We had been to Elephant Rock State Park in Belleview, Missouri, and quite by accident, came across Johnson’s Shut-Ins State Park. It was in the middle of summer and very hot. We could see hundreds of people in the river crawling over rocks and it looked like fun. We decided to stop and check it out.

Ends up, this was one of the most fun afternoons we’d had as a family. The Shut-Ins is a natural water park created years and years ago by volcanic ash. This is a part of the Black River that runs through these huge rocks for what seems like miles.

On the day we stopped, there were lots of adults and children of all ages

wadeing through the river and over the rocks. My husband, myself, and out two girls started from the top and worked our way to the end. The water at the deepest is waist high, which is great if you have little ones like we do.

There were also several naturally formed swimming holes to stop and play in on the way to the bottom. We had so much fun we went back to the beginning and did it a second time. Being made from volcanos the igneous rocks were beautiful, yet very smooth and slippery.

We would get to laughing so hard, we’d get week and slip off the same rock over and over back into the water. We ended ...

• up being there about four hours when it started getting dark before we knew that much time had flown by and it was time to go. We had more fun at the Shut-Ins than at any water park or other water excursion we had ever been to.

We have water parks where we live, but none that are so much fun. The other water parks are also very expensive. At Johnson’s Shut-In State Park you can play all day, no charge.

I did notice there is a camp ground and a long ramp to walk up and look out at the view, but we had so much fun climbing rocks and playing in the water we never got to check

anything else out. Johnson’s Shut-Ins state Park is hands down the most fun place for any one that likes to climb rocks and get wet. I will admit, we all had some bruises and a few sore spots the next day from sliding of the rocks, but it was worth every bruise.

None of us can wait to do it again. I just wish we lived closer to Middlebrook, Missouri. We would be at this park everyday in the summer.

I just hope that the next time we get to that part of Missouri, it is in the summer, so we can go back to Johnson’s Shut-Ins State Park.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3821021000500728/k2311a0221/2.21.10