Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Short Track - Men’s 1000m  » Sport  »
  • In the quarter final heats, Celski was DQ'd, unfairly in my opinion
  • I totally disagree with the decision to DQ Celski and move forward Hamelin
  • Celski definitely got the bum's rush on this one

• by Orrymain

I have to say that I did a lot of holding my breath during the Men’s 1000m short track event at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. This sport changes on a dime. One second you’re in the lead, and the next you’re sliding into the pad. It’s as much about what your competitors do as what you do.

As I watched the qualifying events, as an American, I’m rooting for Apollo Ohno and J.R. Celski. Ohno has become such a popular athlete in the USA, gaining even more popularity after winning

on Dancing with the Stars. I don’t know much about Celski except that at the trials in September, he had a horrible accident and didn’t even compete an any event until these Olympics. I like what I see, though.

>From past events, I knew that Korea would be tough, especially Lee Jung-Su. I also figured that Canada’s Charles Hamelin would try to wreak some havoc in his quest for a podium finish. Ultimately, Hamelin finished fourth. However, he was part of controversy with Celski. In the quarter final heats,

• Celski was DQ’d, unfairly in my opinion. Hamelin was not in a firm position when Celski got in front of him on the inside. Hamelin had his hands all over Celski. It was just not right. I totally disagree with the decision to DQ Celski and move forward Hamelin. I do love that officials look at these things, but their decisions are not perfect. Celski definitely got the bum’s rush on this one.

The final event was incredibly exciting. Ohno was sandwiched between the Koreans in the rear and

the Hamelin brothers of Canada in front of him. He made a move and slipped and ended up at the back with just a couple of laps to go. He really fought back, overtaking the brothers and getting a bronze medal, giving him seven total for his Olympic appearances, which is more than any other US athlete in history.

Watching him fight back for that bronze was a thrill. He left it all on the ice and said in his interview that he has no regrets.

Great event, though I still think Celski was ripped off.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3521021000470728/k2311a0221/2.21.10