Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Women’s Super-G
  • That she overcame that and had such a fast run is amazing
  • While I'm sad that Mancuso didn't medal, I'm happy at the unexpected thrill
  • I think she may have learned a lesson today
  • It wasn't one I thought she needed, though, so I'm surprised myself

• by Orrymain

Julia Mancuso from the USA was the first to make the attempt down the hill for the Women’s Super-G event in the 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver. This is the event where skiers don’t get to take any trial runs down the hill and only get to inspect it. Mancusco had a huge mistake halfway down, going way off course and thus losing a lot of speed. She finished strong, right on her track, but having gone off course pretty much sealed her fate by the mistake. Sadly, she wouldn’t medal in this event during these Olympics.

Maria Riesch easily outdid Mancuso’s run, but was then

bested by Elisabeth Goergl of Austria, who was shouting for joy when she completed her run. She had had a shaky start, too, having problems with her pole at the very top of the course. That she overcame that and had such a fast run is amazing. It just shows that you should never give up, no matter what. Still, she ended up out of the medals, too.

Lindsey Vonn from America had a wonderful run. I almost didn’t want to look, but she was fast at the top. She seemed to go more cautiously on the bottom half, but she was on her ...

• line, smooth and steady throughout, and let out that happy scream when she completed her run and landed into first place. She had to settle for the bronze, though.

It was a surprise when Andrea Fischbacher of Austria outdid Vonn. Her run hadn’t been perfect, but somehow, she used her energy to the max and beat Vonn’s time. She was so excited she backed into the fence by accident. You can’t beat that enthusiasm.

The silver went to Tina Maze of Slovenia.

It was an exciting event, with some surprise. Surprise at the Olympics is good to me. While I’m sad that Mancuso didn’t medal, I’m

happy at the unexpected thrill. Vonn was heard making a comment at the end of her run that seemed to indicate that she really thought she had the gold. It rubbed me wrong. With so many competitors to go and with the cautiousness of her run, it seemed inappropriate to me. She also didn’t look happy. I think she may have learned a lesson today. It wasn’t one I thought she needed, though, so I’m surprised myself.

As I’ve said before, athletes rise to the occasion in the Olympics. It’s not the time for caution. This was a great example of Olympic heart.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3521021000450728/k2311a0221/2.21.10