Healthy Choice Creamy Basil Pesto Frozen Entree  » Food  »
  • Since it was on sale at Wal-Mart, I bought enough to last me a couple of weeks, including Creamy Basil Pesto
  • I choose this entrée because I love the tomato-basil-mozzarella cheese combination and it was low in calories (under 300) for a pasta dish
  • It didn’t have enough protein in my opinion
  • In terms of taste, it was a satisfying experience
  • I would recommend this entrée who like pesto but not the fat

• by carblover

Healthy Choice has come out with a new line of frozen entrees called All Natural Entrees. Since it was on sale at Wal-Mart, I bought enough to last me a couple of weeks, including Creamy Basil Pesto. I choose this entrée because I love the tomato-basil-mozzarella cheese combination and it was low in calories (under 300) for a pasta dish. Normally, healthy pasta dishes use tomato sauce to cut the

calories and fat but this Healthy Choice entrée used pesto and olive oil. I had to see if they succeeded in making a good diet substitute.

I honestly expected the pasta to be bland because most dishes don’t survive the healthy makeover. That wasn’t the case with this Creamy Basil Pesto pasta. First of all, the sauce had some depth and good flavor; that probably because it was made with white wine. Mixed with the mozzarella cheese, there was a definite creaminess, even some gooeyness. I loved that the basil flavor was prominent – it tasted like they used fresh basil and not the dried stuff which would have an entirely different flavor. The broccoli was surprisingly crunchy, which I liked, and the pasta had a nutty flavor. Because it had ridges, the sauce and flavorings clung to the ...

• Healthy Choice Creamy Basil Pesto Frozen Entree
      pasta very well. There were a lot of positive things with this entrée.

Now for the negatives. The pasta was not al dente; it was soggy and pretty friable. Also, I wish they had included more and bigger chunks of tomato. There wasn’t enough tomato for my liking. The last thing is that it didn’t have enough protein, only 10 grams. I would’ve gotten more protein eating a

single egg white.

Overall, I would purchase this entrée again. The flavor was well-rounded, nicely developed, and I didn’t miss the lack of salt. It has a lot of fiber and low in sugar. It didn’t have enough protein in my opinion. In terms of taste, it was a satisfying experience. There was a good balance of creaminess and lightness. I would recommend this entrée who like pesto but not the fat.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2721021000050628/k2311a0221/2.21.10