Althea contraceptive pills
  • Before I started using this, I first checked if I was pregnant (it's routine) and when I found out it was negative, I started taking it on the first day of my menstrual cycle
  • But when I started using Althea, I noticed that I can now maintain my weight within normal limits, my menses are not so heavy that I only use 1-2 pads per day, and my skin became smoother to touch with almost no pimple outbreak
  • The best part is the price is not so expensive unlike other contraceptive pills with the same generic name
  • Thus I highly recommend this to women who want to have proper birth control and who want to feel great and look great at the same time

• by coolynch78

I have been using Althea contraceptive pills for more than two years now and I can say that this contraceptive pill is very effective, not only in decreasing my fertility, it also helps eliminate dysmenorrhea or painful menstruation.

Before I started using this, I first checked if I was pregnant (it’s routine) and when I found out it was negative, I started taking it on the first day of my menstrual cycle. I was really careful to take it everyday, on the sametime to ensure its optimal effect - and that is not to get pregnant. This is because the blood level of the hormones contained in each tablet should be maintained in a steady level so to ensure that no ovulation will be able to take place.

The good thing about the blister pack of this oral contraceptive is that each tablet is marked by a number starting from numbers 1 to 28. I started taking tablet number one on the first day ...

• of my menstrual cycle, number two on the second day and so on.

I tried using other contraceptive pills before such as progesterone only pill, which only succeeded in making me chubbier, with heavier menses and inter menstrual bleeding.

outbreak. And you know what, my husband was able to notice it! I also noticed that my menstrual cramps are less intense, thus I can go one with my routine work without getting disturbed with the pain.

The best part is the price is not so expensive unlike other contraceptive pills with the same generic name. Thus I highly recommend this to women who want to have proper birth control and who want to feel great and look great at the same time.

charlie says :

hi. I am 28 yo and have been on althea for almost 3years now. I made mistake with my schedule of taking the pill, i missed 3 pills on my 3rd week of taking the active pill. But the rest of the first 14 pills i took them religiously, i was left with 7 pills.so after missing the 3 pills, i took 2 pills on the 4th day. and continue taking the rest of the pack. now i am having brown discharges which varries from light to heavy for almost 7days now. is it normal? BTW, I had sex after missing 2 pills but my man did not cum inside me. I am about to continue my next pack without having 7 free day from pills, as i’ve rea from the intruction. is it ok? and may I also ask when will I be protected again? how long should I be taking the pills after the missed ones will I be protected again?

Galega says :

You may not be completely protected during the last pack. You had messed lots of things. After quitting the pills, you had physical relationship. There is possibility of unwanted pregnancy, even though your man had used withdrawal method.

You will be again protected from the next pack. Take one pill a day at around the same time. You can set an alarm in your mobile for reminder. Follow the rules to be on the safe side.

If you missed a pill, you should take it as soon as possible. Never take more than two pills in a single day. That’s the rule.

rentzel says :

hi. i just want to know, if what i was doing is right. after i finish my 21 pack of althea and i was not able to take another pill after 8th day it would be bec my husband and was not able to buy new one what will happen is i will wait for my next menstruation to come.and on the first day i will then taket he next set of althea. can i really do that? thanks

a says :

you should take the 21 pills, wait for 7 days then start on the next 21 pills. that’s how it works.

Galega says :

If it is just one day delay, go ahead and start the next pack.

If the delay is of more than one day, I would suggest you to wait for the menstruation cycle and start the new pack on the very first day.

Meanwhile stay away from making unprotected physical relationship with your husband when you are not taking this pill.

Get more than one pack to avoid this situation in the future.

melissa labaclado says :

how to take althea concraceptive pills.

a says :

take first 21 pills everyday once a day for 21 days, never skip pills. after 21 days you can choose to take the 7 sugar pills or skip them. then you repeat the cycle for next month.

Galega says :

First go to the OB/gynecologist. Ask about contraceptive pill. Go for complete check up. Get prescription of Althea.

Wait for the arrival of your menstruation cycle. Start with the pill marked as ONE, on the first day of your period. Take one pill daily at around the same time for the next 21 days. Go for seven pill free days and then start the new pack on the 8th day. The second pack can be started on any day, irrespective of the fact that your period is started or not.

If anything extreme happen, consult your doctor immediately.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi, you should take one pill by mouth daily with a glass of water or milk. I have found that milk seems to make birth control easier on my stomach. Remember though that each pill should be taken at the same time every day.

roxanne says :

my question is,is it ok to take althea pills after my menstruation?bec. i forgot to take it when i have my period,and i started at the 2nd tablet because the 1st tablet wa lost,it was fall………there is possible to have pregnant if i started at the 2nd tablet?

a says :

you can start the pills anytime after your period but note that your period will come 21 days after you start the pills. try not to skip pills.

Galega says :

If you are a first time users, always start it on the first day of your menstruation. You can also start on any other day, but then have to use some other contraceptive measures for next seven days while making physical relationship. You may also at increased risk of getting side effects.

Further, starting directly with the second tablet is not recommended. If you have lost the first tablet, get a new pack. All tablets have different amount of estrogen and other active ingredients. And, the first tablet is designed to make your body suit better with sudden new dose of estrogen. Since, you are going to take it for long duration, get a new pack and start with the first tablet.

cai says :

Hi, I just want to clarify, when you say “you can start on any other day” does that mean any other day when you have your period or even after the period? I started using Althea Sep 27 then on Oct 04 aftee taking the 7th pill had unprotected sex. Is there a big chance of pregnancy? If so, can I take ecp with althea and how to use it? Thanks.

Galega says :

By`any other day’ I mean any other day after your menstruation. For example even 10th day. As I have mentioned, if you have started it on any other day, then you are not protected for up to seven days. You had unprotected relationship on seventh day. It means you were not completely protected at that time. You can take ECP (for up to 72 hours of making relationship) to remain extra sure. However, 7th day should be relatively safe.

Nanz says :

Good day I`ve been taking Althea pill for my acne for five months and it has been giving me remarkable results. Can I take it continuously? I want to have good skin all the time. Is it also safe to apply astringents or creams?

a says :

you can take it continously but do consult your doctor for long term side effects, it may not be a big deal but it is always good to know. it should be safe to apply any creams.

Galega says :

There is no problem in applying cream of astringents on the face. If you are taking something orally, then you need to ponder over about any possible reactions.

That said, I do not suggest you to take this pill for such a long duration just to control acne/pimples. Why not rely on some herbal products, or change your eating habits which can help to remove acne.

Taking this pill for such a long duration without any need for birth control is not recommended. IT has some side effects - in both short term and long term. Why are you taking risks?

ann says :

hi, i just started taking althea pills two days ago which is also my first day of period, im just wondering how many percent can it cause melasma? or gaining weigh through use? im just afraid to have melasma on my face or somewhere where i cant even hide.. or if not, gain some more weight in the long run..

a says :

i’m not sure about the melasma but on the weight gain issue, it really depends on the woman taking it. for some women they find they are gaining weight on the pill and for some there is no effect on weight.

Hi Ann,

Yes, Chloasma, which is also known as melasma, can be a side effect of Althea Contraceptive pill. Similarly, Weight Gain is also there in the possible list of side effects. These two along with many others are listed by the manufacturer.

However, these side effects generally happen with new users and get lost after completing 2-3 packs of the pill. You should not worry about it.

Over time there will be neither weight gain nor melasma.

Further, I would like to clarify here that Weight gain and melasma happen with quite a few women. Other side effects like abdominal pain, bleeding and headache happen with majority of users.

Don’t worry, go ahead with your pill cycle.

babeniJR says :

Hi. I just want to know. I am taking althea pills for the first time. I took the first tablet on the first day of my menstruation, that was last June 12,2011. And I ahve noticed that until now June 20,2011 , I still have menstruation, although its not heavy, i was just like have spotting, I am still worried. Is it really normal? Or I really do need to see an OB-Gyne for this matter?

a says :

spotting is quite normal between periods, it’s totally normal.

Galega says :

It’s good that you have started it on the first day of menstruation.

The spotting that you are experiencing may be a side effect of Althea pill. Nothing to worry here, though.

It happens because of the estrogen, a female hormone, in the pill. Your body may not accept the new dose of this hormone.

Though, if the spotting continue for one week more, you need to consult a doctor. May be you need some other pill.

Sophie says :

Hi I`m 25 years and I`m using althea for 2 months already..I just want to know and make it clearly. It`s my second pack already. Until now I was so confused how to take it properly. Do I have to take it on my first day of menstruation on on the last of my menstruation? And then after I have finished taking it.. How many days should i wait before I started again? Coz really confused about it. Me and my boyfriend don`t want to have an early pregnancy because of the misconception..can you help me with it.. And for my last question is it safe to blow it inside while your using the pill? Sorry for the question it my first time also to take dis pill.. Hope you answer my question.. Thank you..

Faith says :

Hi,

we have the same situation its my 2 months also using Althea pills. Just take it after 7 days free pills so meaning its the 8th day even you have or not menstruation just follow the steps and continue drinking same time everyday.

Galega says :

New users are suggested to start this pill on the first day of menstruation. It will help them to remain protected from the very first day from unwanted pregnancy. Also, it can help them to avoid many possible side effects.

However, starting the new pack on the first day of menstruation doesn’t apply when you start the second pack and so on. Take one pill daily for around the same time and then go for seven pill free days. After that start the new pack on the 8th day. From the second pack and so on, you don’t need to worry about the arrival of menstruation cycle. Start the pack whether your period has started or not.

Not following this rule may lead you at the risk of getting pregnant.

Zhelle says :

hello Im a new user of althea. how ever I started using althea from the 1st night of my mens, I only have 3 tabs left. my questions are:
1. is 7 days free pill is safe even w/o condom?
2. what if my mens dont come in 7days free pill, am I still safe to take my next pack?
3. If I want to stop althea, is 7days free pill is safe?
4. when can I stop using althea?

Thank you in advance.

Galega says :

Yes, it is safe without condom as told by manufacturers of Althea. You may get pseudo menstruation during these pill free days. However, to be on the safe side, many women use some other forms of contraception like withdrawal method or condom during these pill free days.

You should start the new pack on 8th day, after the completion of 7 pill free days. It doesn’t matter whether you got menses or not.

Yes, you can stop Althea during these pill free days. However, if you start a new pack, you should complete the pack before stopping it.

Complete the current pack (21 pills) and then you can stop Althea.

Cle says :

Hi, I’m a new user of Althea pills and I didn’t start it upon my menstruation, I just finished my 21 tablets of althea pills and on my 4th day of tablet free. Is amenorrhea normal? and when will I have my menstruation? I only used the pills due to my acne problems and I’m planning to continue it for 3months, but I’m quite nervous because I haven’t had my menstruation.

Galega says :

You are a new user of Althea. Your period may get delayed. Don’t worry. It will become regular over time. There isn’t any problem.

As far as amenorrhea is concerned, it isn’t normal with birth control pills. Though, women who take birth control shot may miss menstruation cycle for even six months. But, that rarely happens with birth control pills.

This is still fourth days of your placebo pill. Your period should come. You need to start the next pack of Althea on scheduled day.

Althea contraceptive pills
I am used to taking contraceptive pills because my boyfriend and I don't want another baby yet and we can't do much discipline especially in cold season so we need and planned to continue using this method of contraception. I think Althea is one of the cheapest pills I ...

Althea contraceptive pill
With the economic crisis nowadays, I was searching for alternative brands of pills that would cost cheaper than my usual Dianne 35 pill. So I was very convinced to buy this new product in the market that offered women looking for birth control pills with added benefits. ...

Althea Oral Contraceptive Pill
Althea is the first OCP (Oral Contraceptive Pill) that I took since I got married, since it’s been a mutual decision to defer having a child for the first year or so of our marriage. And after a year, I haven’t switched brands, simply because I am satisfied with ...

Althea Contraceptive Pills
Althea Contraceptive Pills have been out on the market for a while, it is being manufactured by the Trust Contraceptive brand. I took this pill last month of June 2010 after an exhaustive research on worthwhile and safe contraceptive pills. After reading such things regarding the scary mini-strokes some people ...

Daphne Contraceptive Pill
Two months after giving birth to my first baby, I consulted my Obstetrician about the best contraceptive pill I could possibly use which could not affect my breastfeeding. She advised me to use Daphne Contraceptive pill. She instructed me to take it regularly (same time of the ...

Contraceptive pills
There are many different types that you can recieve from the doctor. The best thing to do is to go to your doctor and talk to them about what you require. One contraceptive pill is called dianette - this is ok, but i did find that it slightly ...

Charlize contraceptive pills
I have recently stopped using my usual contraceptive pills a few months ago and shifted to a new contraceptive pill. This sudden shift is brought about by the fact that I want to take a medication that will help eliminate the dysmenorrhea I usually feel during the first ...

Althea Birth Control Pills
I have been a user of Althea pills for 4 months now and I can say that I am very satisfied with this birth control pill. I have decided to give Althea a try because of my hormonal acne and I was very impressed with it because it also ...

Yasmin Contraceptive Pills
I was on another contraceptive pills for three years before my new OBgyne recommended Yasmin combined oral contraceptive pill to me. I gained considerable weight from years of taking my previous contraceptive pill so I was glad when my OBgyne told me that Yasmin should be milder and should ...

Injectables Contraceptive
I am a 25-year old married woman and I am happily married. I have a 2-year old daughter already and she is so cute and smart. Right now, I don't want to have a second child yet for you know the fact that it is difficult to live life ...

Contraceptive Pills
When I was younger, I began using contraceptives as a way to regulate my periods. I have never had any problems with any of the brands I have used (although I switched frequently in the beginning, the doctors had me on Triphasil for the most amount of time) ...

Levora
Levora is an oral contraceptive. You take it once a day (at around the same time everyday for best results), on the fourth week you can take blank pills or not at all. The blank pills don't do anything, they just keep you in the rhythm of ...

Ovulation tests - contraceptive
One great way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is to simply have the female partner in a relationship take an ovulation test. These tests are now sold in most drug stores for about ten dollars, and are generally about ninety nine percent accurate in terms of predicting if a ...

NuvaRing Contraceptive
I love the Nuvaring. It operates with the same hormones that birth control pills use, but with a steady, lower dosage. Because the dosage is lower and because it is a constant dosage instead of spiking and falling every day, I have almost no side effects. When I was ...

Dianne 35 Contraceptive pill
When I went to the OB gyne, she suggested several forms of birth control methods to me. I chose pills as the best form of birth control not only because I was more of a person who prefers to take medicines but also my OB gyne said that ...

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation of any kind was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the reviewed item. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342302604890728/k2311a0223/2.23.09