Althea contraceptive pills
  • Before I started using this, I first checked if I was pregnant (it's routine) and when I found out it was negative, I started taking it on the first day of my menstrual cycle
  • But when I started using Althea, I noticed that I can now maintain my weight within normal limits, my menses are not so heavy that I only use 1-2 pads per day, and my skin became smoother to touch with almost no pimple outbreak
  • The best part is the price is not so expensive unlike other contraceptive pills with the same generic name
  • Thus I highly recommend this to women who want to have proper birth control and who want to feel great and look great at the same time

• by coolynch78

I have been using Althea contraceptive pills for more than two years now and I can say that this contraceptive pill is very effective, not only in decreasing my fertility, it also helps eliminate dysmenorrhea or painful menstruation.

Before I started using this, I first checked if I was pregnant (it’s routine) and when I found out it was negative, I started taking it on the first day of my menstrual cycle. I was really careful to take it everyday, on the sametime to ensure its optimal effect - and that is not to get pregnant. This is because the blood level of the hormones contained in each tablet should be maintained in a steady level so to ensure that no ovulation will be able to take place.

The good thing about the blister pack of this oral contraceptive is that each tablet is marked by a number starting from numbers 1 to 28. I started taking tablet number one on the first day ...

• of my menstrual cycle, number two on the second day and so on.

I tried using other contraceptive pills before such as progesterone only pill, which only succeeded in making me chubbier, with heavier menses and inter menstrual bleeding.

outbreak. And you know what, my husband was able to notice it! I also noticed that my menstrual cramps are less intense, thus I can go one with my routine work without getting disturbed with the pain.

The best part is the price is not so expensive unlike other contraceptive pills with the same generic name. Thus I highly recommend this to women who want to have proper birth control and who want to feel great and look great at the same time.

Althea contraceptive pills
Nanz says :

Good day I`ve been taking Althea pill for my acne for five months and it has been giving me remarkable results. Can I take it continuously? I want to have good skin all the time. Is it also safe to apply astringents or creams?

a says :

you can take it continously but do consult your doctor for long term side effects, it may not be a big deal but it is always good to know. it should be safe to apply any creams.

Galega says :

There is no problem in applying cream of astringents on the face. If you are taking something orally, then you need to ponder over about any possible reactions.

That said, I do not suggest you to take this pill for such a long duration just to control acne/pimples. Why not rely on some herbal products, or change your eating habits which can help to remove acne.

Taking this pill for such a long duration without any need for birth control is not recommended. IT has some side effects - in both short term and long term. Why are you taking risks?

Richelle says :

Hi nanz I’ve also used althea pills for almost 6 months now and I’ve using also astringent on my face and ponds cream every morning and night. The result was amazing Hope this help.

ann says :

hi, i just started taking althea pills two days ago which is also my first day of period, im just wondering how many percent can it cause melasma? or gaining weigh through use? im just afraid to have melasma on my face or somewhere where i cant even hide.. or if not, gain some more weight in the long run..

a says :

i’m not sure about the melasma but on the weight gain issue, it really depends on the woman taking it. for some women they find they are gaining weight on the pill and for some there is no effect on weight.

Hi Ann,

Yes, Chloasma, which is also known as melasma, can be a side effect of Althea Contraceptive pill. Similarly, Weight Gain is also there in the possible list of side effects. These two along with many others are listed by the manufacturer.

However, these side effects generally happen with new users and get lost after completing 2-3 packs of the pill. You should not worry about it.

Over time there will be neither weight gain nor melasma.

Further, I would like to clarify here that Weight gain and melasma happen with quite a few women. Other side effects like abdominal pain, bleeding and headache happen with majority of users.

Don’t worry, go ahead with your pill cycle.

Richelle says :

Hi ann Melasma is an effect of taking birth control pills such as althea but there is a remedy for this,some dermatologist prescribe kojic acid that helps lighten melasma. Regarding on gaining weight, it doesn’t effect on me, I have used althea for six months now but i don’t gain any weight instead I have lost extra pounds. Hope this help.

babeniJR says :

Hi. I just want to know. I am taking althea pills for the first time. I took the first tablet on the first day of my menstruation, that was last June 12,2011. And I ahve noticed that until now June 20,2011 , I still have menstruation, although its not heavy, i was just like have spotting, I am still worried. Is it really normal? Or I really do need to see an OB-Gyne for this matter?

a says :

spotting is quite normal between periods, it’s totally normal.

Galega says :

It’s good that you have started it on the first day of menstruation.

The spotting that you are experiencing may be a side effect of Althea pill. Nothing to worry here, though.

It happens because of the estrogen, a female hormone, in the pill. Your body may not accept the new dose of this hormone.

Though, if the spotting continue for one week more, you need to consult a doctor. May be you need some other pill.

Sophie says :

Hi I`m 25 years and I`m using althea for 2 months already..I just want to know and make it clearly. It`s my second pack already. Until now I was so confused how to take it properly. Do I have to take it on my first day of menstruation on on the last of my menstruation? And then after I have finished taking it.. How many days should i wait before I started again? Coz really confused about it. Me and my boyfriend don`t want to have an early pregnancy because of the misconception..can you help me with it.. And for my last question is it safe to blow it inside while your using the pill? Sorry for the question it my first time also to take dis pill.. Hope you answer my question.. Thank you..

Faith says :

Hi,

we have the same situation its my 2 months also using Althea pills. Just take it after 7 days free pills so meaning its the 8th day even you have or not menstruation just follow the steps and continue drinking same time everyday.

Galega says :

New users are suggested to start this pill on the first day of menstruation. It will help them to remain protected from the very first day from unwanted pregnancy. Also, it can help them to avoid many possible side effects.

However, starting the new pack on the first day of menstruation doesn’t apply when you start the second pack and so on. Take one pill daily for around the same time and then go for seven pill free days. After that start the new pack on the 8th day. From the second pack and so on, you don’t need to worry about the arrival of menstruation cycle. Start the pack whether your period has started or not.

Not following this rule may lead you at the risk of getting pregnant.

Richelle says :

Hi Sophie You have to take the althea pill on the first day of your menstruation and you have to wait for seven days in order to be safe and avoid pregnancy. You may also start anytime but make sure that you are not pregnant, you must also wait for seven days to be safe.Then, if you have finish taking the pill, you have to wait 7 days and it is safe to make love to your partner. And after seven days, you have to take another pack. And it is safe to blow it inside while taking the pill. Make sure that you follow the instruction to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Zhelle says :

hello Im a new user of althea. how ever I started using althea from the 1st night of my mens, I only have 3 tabs left. my questions are:
1. is 7 days free pill is safe even w/o condom?
2. what if my mens dont come in 7days free pill, am I still safe to take my next pack?
3. If I want to stop althea, is 7days free pill is safe?
4. when can I stop using althea?

Thank you in advance.

Galega says :

Yes, it is safe without condom as told by manufacturers of Althea. You may get pseudo menstruation during these pill free days. However, to be on the safe side, many women use some other forms of contraception like withdrawal method or condom during these pill free days.

You should start the new pack on 8th day, after the completion of 7 pill free days. It doesn’t matter whether you got menses or not.

Yes, you can stop Althea during these pill free days. However, if you start a new pack, you should complete the pack before stopping it.

Complete the current pack (21 pills) and then you can stop Althea.

Richelle says :

Hi Zhelle i’m also a user of Althea pill,the answer that I will give you is based on my experience.Seven days free pill is safe without condom. You have to take next pack after 7 days free pill to avoid being pregnant. Third, if you want to stop althea, 7 days free pill is safe. You can stop using althea after you finish using 1 pack of it and you are safe until 7 days pill free days.

charlie says :

hi. I am 28 yo and have been on althea for almost 3years now. I made mistake with my schedule of taking the pill, i missed 3 pills on my 3rd week of taking the active pill. But the rest of the first 14 pills i took them religiously, i was left with 7 pills.so after missing the 3 pills, i took 2 pills on the 4th day. and continue taking the rest of the pack. now i am having brown discharges which varries from light to heavy for almost 7days now. is it normal? BTW, I had sex after missing 2 pills but my man did not cum inside me. I am about to continue my next pack without having 7 free day from pills, as i’ve rea from the intruction. is it ok? and may I also ask when will I be protected again? how long should I be taking the pills after the missed ones will I be protected again?

Galega says :

You may not be completely protected during the last pack. You had messed lots of things. After quitting the pills, you had physical relationship. There is possibility of unwanted pregnancy, even though your man had used withdrawal method.

You will be again protected from the next pack. Take one pill a day at around the same time. You can set an alarm in your mobile for reminder. Follow the rules to be on the safe side.

If you missed a pill, you should take it as soon as possible. Never take more than two pills in a single day. That’s the rule.

Cle says :

Hi, I’m a new user of Althea pills and I didn’t start it upon my menstruation, I just finished my 21 tablets of althea pills and on my 4th day of tablet free. Is amenorrhea normal? and when will I have my menstruation? I only used the pills due to my acne problems and I’m planning to continue it for 3months, but I’m quite nervous because I haven’t had my menstruation.

Galega says :

You are a new user of Althea. Your period may get delayed. Don’t worry. It will become regular over time. There isn’t any problem.

As far as amenorrhea is concerned, it isn’t normal with birth control pills. Though, women who take birth control shot may miss menstruation cycle for even six months. But, that rarely happens with birth control pills.

This is still fourth days of your placebo pill. Your period should come. You need to start the next pack of Althea on scheduled day.

sarah jane says :

Hi. I just want to ask if what will happen if i was not able to follow the 7day free pill? Ive been takingalthea but i didnot read about the free pill. IVe been taking this for 3 months and i did not even follw the 7day free pill even once. Help me

Galega says :

The immediate effect of missing`7 pill free days’ might be missing menstruation cycle. Is this happen with you?

If you are getting menstruation cycle, there isn’t any problem as of now. Just remember to go for these pill free days from now.

As a matter of fact, many women just skin these pill free days to avoid menstruation cycle (for some reason). It has happened with you for three months, or for three packs, so there should not be even any health complications.

sarah jane says :

Thank you so much sir.

che says :

Is it necessary to take the 2nd pack of althea the same time(hour) of the first pack taken?I have taken the first pack at 10am now im taking the second pack at 12 noon.is that ok?thanks

Galega says :

Yes, you can change the timing according to your convenience with the second pack/next pack. Stick with this time during the entire 21 days cycle.

mhay says :

i just want to ask,my ob advise me to take althea on my 2nd day of my period is it ok?then i already finish my 1st pack of althea what should i do next im so much confuse

Galega says :

If your OBGyne had instructed it to be started on the second day of menstruation, go for that suggestion. The doctor must have some medical reasons to deviate from standard way of using it, which is starting on the first day of menstruation.

This doesn’t apply with next and subsequent packs, though. You are required to take all 21 hormonal pills and then go for seven pill free days. Start the second pack on 8th day. You will also find these instructions on the leaflet provided with the Althea pack.

mhay says :

Thank you so much sir….

Bina says :

hi can you please help me. I’m first time user of althea pill. Before i used excluton then i transfer to althea. may question is it ok to have a intercourse even if im 2 days taking althea pill.

thanks

Galega says :

The rule is quite straight forward, Bina.

If you have started Althea on the first day of menstruation, you can have unprotected sexual relationship on the very first day.

If you start it on any other day than the first day of menstruation, you should avoid unprotected sex for the next seven days.

You haven’t mentioned the day when you started Althea. Please follow the instructions written in two possible cases above.

quick note by anonymous :

how long it would take for my pimples should gone with althea pills? i started last night.

Galega says :

Three packs/cycles of Althea should be sufficient for making a hormonal balance, resulting in healing of pimples.

Please don’t expect any result during the first pack of Althea.

highlight

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342302604890728/k2311a0223/2.23.09