Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

• by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives again two months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier andseem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that ...

• Althea Contraceptive Pills
      my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attacksince I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

Althea Contraceptive Pills
ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

theredquill replies :

Hello Ann, it is perfectly to start taking the pills any day of your cycle. However, if you are using the pill for birth control, remember to use an alternative form of contraception such as condom for a week. Hope this helps.

newbiewanderer says :

Hi. It’s my first time to take Althea pills. Is it okay to take it at any time of the day? At lunch time? or in the afternoon?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Newbiewandered,

You can take Althea at any point of time. Please consider following points before deciding about time:

- It MUST be taken once in 24 hours. Try your best to never miss any tablet.

- It should be taken daily at the same time. If you will not be able to take it daily at the same time, hormonal disturbances may result.

It is because of this fact that I don’t suggest users to take it in the afternoon. You might be away from home or doing shopping or with some friends in the afternoon. The best time is before going to bed.

If you have some compulsion, like working in the night shift, you can take it in the afternoon. No problem. Ensure to set a reminder in your mobile phone to take it daily at around the same time.

newbiewanderer says :

What if, I missed to take 1 tablet? Should I take 2 tablets as soon as I remember? Thanks again.

Galega says :

Yes, you can take two tablets/pills as soon as you remember.

Please remember that in no case you should take more than two pills within 24 hours.

And, try your best to not miss any pill for maximum protection from unwanted pregnancy.

theredquill replies :

Hi, you may take 2 pills within 24 hours to still enjoy the contraceptive benefit from the pill. If taken more than 24 hours, use another form of contraception when having intercourse.

Shad says :

Hi. Why is it not advised to take more than 2 pills within 24 hours? What can happen? Thanks.

theredquill replies :

Hi Shad, taking more than 2 pills within 24 hours can cause nausea and some light bleeding or spotting. Some OB recommend taking 2 pills for 2 consecutive days to catch up. However, the effectiveness of the pill is already compromised, so it is highly advisable to use an alternative form of contraception (i.e. condom) for the next seven days.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi you can take them anytime, but I can say from experience that any side effects seemed to be minimized when I started taking my pills with my breakfast in the morning compared to and lunch which was when I first started taking them.

Lori B. says :

You should take the pill the first Sunday after your cycle starts.

Traceh says :

It is okay to take it any day, but it is recommended to take it on the first day of your cycle in order to not disrupt your cycle. You should be safe after seven days, but I was once told by a nurse it is safe to wait a month instead.

Angelita Magana says :

Not it’s not okay. Contraceptive pills usually be effective in the next 24 hour the moment you take it. It’s very important to take it at the same time everyday of your intended days to take it. Let’s say today you took it at 8 in the morning, tomorrow you take it at 1 pm, you are not protected from 9 am to 1 pm then.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have intercourse after or during the 7day pill free days? For example i am about to start my 2nd pack of pills do i still need to wait for 7days again before having intercourse?

Galega says :

You don’t need to wait seven days with every new pack. Just ensure to take one pill daily at the same time.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have contact during the 7 pill free days?

Hi Kendra,

If you have taken all 21 hormonal pills strictly according to the instructions, without any miss, then it will be safe to have unprotected contract during the 7 pill free days.

sara says :

hi Is is safe to have intercourse during the 7-day pill free period? Will it not make me pregnant? can u give me the days where sex is not safe? Thanks

theredquill replies :

Hi Sara, yes, it is still safe to have engage in sexual intercourse during the pill-free days, since the hormones are still working. Remember, though, that this is the time when you`re supposed to have your fake period, that`s why most couples abstain from having sex at this time. Generally you don`t have to worry about getting pregnant. But if you are concerned, then it`s better to use additional protection, like a condom, just to be on the safe side. Birth control pills are 98 effective when taken religiously.

Vivien Alpuerto says :

The seven day`no sex policy’ applies to first time users. So if you successfully completed taking the pills (after the seventh day) , then it is very safe to have intercourse. Including your 7-day pill free period. with or without period.

cess says :

I had an unprotected intercourse. my friend told me to used althea as ECP. she told me to take 4pills, then another 4pills after 12hrs. i immediately took 4pills, then took another 4 after 1hour instead My mistake I thought it was after an hour. What should i do??? Should i still take another 4pills after 12hrs from my last ingestion? help

Hey Cess,

After saying thanks to your friends, you should have also looked at the manufacturer advise of Althea. It is printed on the box, and also on a leaflet provided under the box.

I don’t know whether you will be protected or not, but one thing is quite CERTAIN. There are going to be some problem with your next menstruation cycle.

Althea isn’t a morning after pill, or Emergency Contraceptive Pill. It is a regular method of contraception where you are required to take pills daily according to a cycle.

There are many brands of ECP you could have tried.

Don’t think about taking any more Althea. If any problem happens with your next MC please contact doctor and disclose your mistake.

It should be fine.

Richelle says :

Hi Cess Why have you taken a total of 8 pills? It may cause you an overdose of the pill and it is prohibited.The best way to do is not take the another 4 pills, besides having an unsafe intercourse can result to pregnancy. Althea pills will be safe for you after taking it 7 days continuously, 1 pill per day. But if you have contact within seven days, try to use condom for protection.

DM says :

Hi. I just want to ask, is it safe to take althea for 1 year straight, and if I stop using it after a year, will it cause me to have an outbreak as well? Also, does talking althea won’t cause me any problems one day if already want to conceive? And is it it normal to have a discharge longer than 2months while I’m taking it? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you in advance.

Galega says :

There isn’t any problem in taking Althea for one year and then discontinuing it. You should just remember to stop it after completing the entire pack.

Further, please remember that it is not normal to have spotting continuously for two months. This is an abnormal situation, and demands immediate attention of a doctor. You should consult an OBGyne and discuss this issue.

DM says :

Thanks for the info. I have a follow up question. If I take althea for a year, will I not experience any problem one day if I already want to get pregnant? Also, if I stop using it, is there any chance an outbreak will occur? Thanks.

Galega says :

You will be ready to conceive without any problem after you stop taking Althea pill. There won’t be any problem with pregnancy because of Althea.

Further, if you discontinue it after completing the entire pack, then you will be safe. There should not be any skin issue like acne or pimple outbreaks.

angel says :

When you take althea , is it really neeDed to take it in your firSt day of menstruation?or can I take it after my menstruation?my mens was last nov.16, can I take althea now?

Galega says :

According to the manufacturer, Althea should be started on the first day of menstruation. It can also be started on any other day than the first day of menstruation. However, in that case, users need to stay away from unprotected physical relationship for the first 7 days.

Lala says :

How about for people who have been taking Althea for over a year now? Does the same thing apply? I always take the first pill of a new pack after my menstruation. Is this okay? Am I still safe?

Galega says :

You are already taking Althea for over one year and you are protected. There isn’t as such any problem in the way you are taking Althea. However, I would suggest you to start the next pack just after the completion of 7 pill free days - on the 8th day. You don’t need to start every pack on the first day of menstruation.

mercy05 says :

Hi. I take althea but I’m worried because in my first pack I forgot to take one pills. I saw that in my 3rd week pack. What happened to me? Thank you

Galega says :

If you had missed a pill, the protection level will be lower. It will be better if you use protection while going for physical relationship till you start the next pack.

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

Galega says :

You are finding irregularity in your period two months after stopping Althea (if you had taken it only for three months, up to Nov., as advised by your OB).

Unfortunately, this isn’t normal and can’t be said to be happening because of Althea. If spotting continue, you need to inform your doctor. I think you need to take Althea for a longer duration.

tina says :

I completely agree. You should have a check up after a month of spotting. It will also ease your mind.

loraine says :

hi, i was taking althea pills for almost 10mos. and not even break a rule in taking it. but this day, i have my period but i havent got a chance to buy althea, i decided that i will just buy tomorow and take two pills in one day, for a skip today, is that thing right?

ani says :

taking two pills is not an option. if you skip you should take the next pill as soon as possible (one a day) and continue taking for the next 3 weeks properly.

Galega says :

You can take two pills in one day, when you missed one pill on any given day. Never take more than two pills on a single day.

The above mentioned rule applies when you have missed a pill in the middle of the dose. It is not recommended for the first pill. You should not take first and second pill on the same day. The amount of active ingredients in the first pill is quite different.

Get the pack and start taking the pill daily. You can use some form of contraception in the next seven days for added security.

kennie says :

Im suffering from PCOS, my obgyne advice to take althea to regulate my cycle. is it ok if i stop it on 2nd mon? im planning to concive.

Galega says :

You can stop it at any time, but ONLY after completing the entire set of hormonal pills - 21 pills. Discontinuing in the middle of a pack can lead to many problems. Take the entire set and then consider discontinuing Althea.

kennie says :

thanks for the advice

saphire says :

hi, it`s me sapphire, I have consumed almost the 2nd pack of altea, I have noticed tenderness on my breast but aside from it, before my mens after taking the ist pack I have pimple on tip of my nose which cause me so much disappoint because as far as I`ve read about althea that it`s a beauty pill but look I have pimple, what you call by this one? Is it just a reaction to my just consumed ist pack???I felt moody, and easily freaked out….and one more, is it safe taking althea, when in fact I`m also taking memory enhancer and some other vitamin supplements, is it ok if I have been taken these all?? Thanks and more power, hope I could have get some reply from you…

ani says :

if you are getting pimples and other side effects you should consider changing your pills. this just means your hormones are being weird due to this pill. there are many options in the market, talk to your doctor.

Galega says :

Althea may be called a beauty pill, but it is not a beauty pill.

If pimples are not spreading, i would suggest you to continue taking this pill. Clearly, the pimples you have experienced are result of the extra dose of estrogen hormone that your body is getting through this pill. It may get better after the completion of the second pack.

You can also get in touch with a skin specialist.

Breast tenderness is one of the many possible side effects of Althea Contraceptive Pills. There is nothing to worry about here as this side effect will disappear after the completion of the second pack.

theredquill replies :

Hi Sapphire, Althea birth control pills contain both estrogen and Cyproterone acetate, a combination which both prevents pregnancy and acne. Though Althea is marketed primarily as a contraceptive pill, many Althea users have experienced reduction of their acne and pimples. However, women react to hormones differently, and you might be experiencing an adverse reaction. Is this your first time to use birth control pills? If so, maybe you should wait a month more for your body to get used to them. However, if you’ve used a different brand of pills before and had not experience the same reactions you have with Althea, then it might be worth considering switching back or changing to another brand or hormonal combinations. It’s always safe to see your OB, if you’re not sure. Cheers

highlight

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262610497991131/k2311a1026/10.26.08