Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

• by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives againtwo months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier andseem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that ...

• Althea Contraceptive Pills
      my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attacksince I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

Althea Contraceptive Pills
ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

theredquill replies :

Hello Ann, it is perfectly to start taking the pills any day of your cycle. However, if you are using the pill for birth control, remember to use an alternative form of contraception such as condom for a week. Hope this helps.

newbiewanderer says :

Hi. It’s my first time to take Althea pills. Is it okay to take it at any time of the day? At lunch time? or in the afternoon?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Newbiewandered,

You can take Althea at any point of time. Please consider following points before deciding about time:

- It MUST be taken once in 24 hours. Try your best to never miss any tablet.

- It should be taken daily at the same time. If you will not be able to take it daily at the same time, hormonal disturbances may result.

It is because of this fact that I don’t suggest users to take it in the afternoon. You might be away from home or doing shopping or with some friends in the afternoon. The best time is before going to bed.

If you have some compulsion, like working in the night shift, you can take it in the afternoon. No problem. Ensure to set a reminder in your mobile phone to take it daily at around the same time.

newbiewanderer says :

What if, I missed to take 1 tablet? Should I take 2 tablets as soon as I remember? Thanks again.

Galega says :

Yes, you can take two tablets/pills as soon as you remember.

Please remember that in no case you should take more than two pills within 24 hours.

And, try your best to not miss any pill for maximum protection from unwanted pregnancy.

theredquill replies :

Hi, you may take 2 pills within 24 hours to still enjoy the contraceptive benefit from the pill. If taken more than 24 hours, use another form of contraception when having intercourse.

Shad says :

Hi. Why is it not advised to take more than 2 pills within 24 hours? What can happen? Thanks.

theredquill replies :

Hi Shad, taking more than 2 pills within 24 hours can cause nausea and some light bleeding or spotting. Some OB recommend taking 2 pills for 2 consecutive days to catch up. However, the effectiveness of the pill is already compromised, so it is highly advisable to use an alternative form of contraception (i.e. condom) for the next seven days.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi you can take them anytime, but I can say from experience that any side effects seemed to be minimized when I started taking my pills with my breakfast in the morning compared to and lunch which was when I first started taking them.

Lori B. says :

You should take the pill the first Sunday after your cycle starts.

Traceh says :

It is okay to take it any day, but it is recommended to take it on the first day of your cycle in order to not disrupt your cycle. You should be safe after seven days, but I was once told by a nurse it is safe to wait a month instead.

Chari says :

I want to ask if Althea is safe to use to prevent or treat hirsutism? I am conscious about my facial hair and I want to eliminate or lessen it. And one thing more is it true that Althea causes pimples if you really don`t have pimples? Thank you. I will wait for your response

a says :

this pill is not meant for facial hair reduction so i doubt it will help for that reason. it might help with acne on the other hand as the hormones in the pills can aid towards acne reduction.

Galega says :

Hirsutism is caused by some traces of Androgen, a male hormone, in the female who experiences facial hair growth.

Althea, being loaded with female hormone estrogen, can help you to counter the tide of Androgen hormone and thus can control hirustism.

Nevertheless, before starting it, please consult a doctor.

theredquill replies :

According to MIMS, Althea (containing Cyproterone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) is indicated for contraception in women as well as control of acne and hirsutism. However, only a doctor or OB can prescribe it based on your problem or main complaint. As for the pimples, any woman can have an adverse reaction to hormonal contraceptive, and that might include skin changes.

saphire says :

hi, it`s me sapphire, I have consumed almost the 2nd pack of altea, I have noticed tenderness on my breast but aside from it, before my mens after taking the ist pack I have pimple on tip of my nose which cause me so much disappoint because as far as I`ve read about althea that it`s a beauty pill but look I have pimple, what you call by this one? Is it just a reaction to my just consumed ist pack???I felt moody, and easily freaked out….and one more, is it safe taking althea, when in fact I`m also taking memory enhancer and some other vitamin supplements, is it ok if I have been taken these all?? Thanks and more power, hope I could have get some reply from you…

ani says :

if you are getting pimples and other side effects you should consider changing your pills. this just means your hormones are being weird due to this pill. there are many options in the market, talk to your doctor.

Galega says :

Althea may be called a beauty pill, but it is not a beauty pill.

If pimples are not spreading, i would suggest you to continue taking this pill. Clearly, the pimples you have experienced are result of the extra dose of estrogen hormone that your body is getting through this pill. It may get better after the completion of the second pack.

You can also get in touch with a skin specialist.

Breast tenderness is one of the many possible side effects of Althea Contraceptive Pills. There is nothing to worry about here as this side effect will disappear after the completion of the second pack.

theredquill replies :

Hi Sapphire, Althea birth control pills contain both estrogen and Cyproterone acetate, a combination which both prevents pregnancy and acne. Though Althea is marketed primarily as a contraceptive pill, many Althea users have experienced reduction of their acne and pimples. However, women react to hormones differently, and you might be experiencing an adverse reaction. Is this your first time to use birth control pills? If so, maybe you should wait a month more for your body to get used to them. However, if you’ve used a different brand of pills before and had not experience the same reactions you have with Althea, then it might be worth considering switching back or changing to another brand or hormonal combinations. It’s always safe to see your OB, if you’re not sure. Cheers

rea says :

do i need prescription to get althea???

ani says :

most birth control pills are prescription only. check with you doctor.

Galega says :

It depends on country where you are residing. check with your pharmist or ask your doctor.

As for needs for prescription, I would say that is required. Before starting the pill, you should always see a doctor and clear all apprehensions. Doctors may also tell you about the most suitable pills after going for extensive check ups. In fact, getting it through prescription may lead to less side effects.

Richelle says :

Hi rea you can buy althea pills even you have not prescription,you can buy it in any drugstore nationwide.

akia says :

after using althea, is it possible to get pregnant that early?

ani says :

if you are trying to conceive you should stop taking althea altogether.

Galega says :

You are using Althea, it means you are not planning to get pregnant. May be, you are thinking about the days after you will stop using it.

Yes, when you stop using Althea, you are ready to get pregnant. Please ensure that you don’t quit Althea in the middle of a pack. Complete the pack, and then stop using it.

cess says :

I had an unprotected intercourse. my friend told me to used althea as ECP. she told me to take 4pills, then another 4pills after 12hrs. i immediately took 4pills, then took another 4 after 1hour instead My mistake I thought it was after an hour. What should i do??? Should i still take another 4pills after 12hrs from my last ingestion? help

Hey Cess,

After saying thanks to your friends, you should have also looked at the manufacturer advise of Althea. It is printed on the box, and also on a leaflet provided under the box.

I don’t know whether you will be protected or not, but one thing is quite CERTAIN. There are going to be some problem with your next menstruation cycle.

Althea isn’t a morning after pill, or Emergency Contraceptive Pill. It is a regular method of contraception where you are required to take pills daily according to a cycle.

There are many brands of ECP you could have tried.

Don’t think about taking any more Althea. If any problem happens with your next MC please contact doctor and disclose your mistake.

It should be fine.

Richelle says :

Hi Cess Why have you taken a total of 8 pills? It may cause you an overdose of the pill and it is prohibited.The best way to do is not take the another 4 pills, besides having an unsafe intercourse can result to pregnancy. Althea pills will be safe for you after taking it 7 days continuously, 1 pill per day. But if you have contact within seven days, try to use condom for protection.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have intercourse after or during the 7day pill free days? For example i am about to start my 2nd pack of pills do i still need to wait for 7days again before having intercourse?

Galega says :

You don’t need to wait seven days with every new pack. Just ensure to take one pill daily at the same time.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have contact during the 7 pill free days?

Hi Kendra,

If you have taken all 21 hormonal pills strictly according to the instructions, without any miss, then it will be safe to have unprotected contract during the 7 pill free days.

Mina says :

hi. I had unprotected sex last June 3. But I’ve been using Althea pills since March. But the problem is I had diarrhea for a day on June 2. It went on starting around 12 midnight until around 8am of June 2. I am worried since some people are saying that diarrhea has an effect on birth control pills. Should I take emergency contraceptives?

Galega says :

Vomiting is also a symptom of diarrhea. If you had vomited after taking the pill, then the effect might have got reduced. Otherwise, it should be fine.

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

Galega says :

You are finding irregularity in your period two months after stopping Althea (if you had taken it only for three months, up to Nov., as advised by your OB).

Unfortunately, this isn’t normal and can’t be said to be happening because of Althea. If spotting continue, you need to inform your doctor. I think you need to take Althea for a longer duration.

MELAY says :

It`s my first time to use althea. I have been consuming 19ablets when i did engaged in an intercourse, it`s my fourth day of my free tablet period and i stil don`t have my breakthrough bleeding. now i am starting to worry, could it be possible that i am pregnant? for your reply please

ani says :

try a pregnancy test and visit a doctor as soon as possible.

Galega says :

First thing you need to notice is the expected time of your period. Is the delay is from your expected time/normal time of the arrival of period? Or, it is a delay of just four days from the last pill.

New users may have to bear with delayed period after completing one pack of Althea. It is a side effects.

Whether your period starts in few days or not, you should start the pill on the next day of this seven pill free days.

As for pregnancy, I don’t see any possibility here.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi Melay, I would not worry too much. When I was on birth control I never had a period even during the pill free days. I think it has a lot to do with your body and the time at which your period would normally arrive. Mine usually arrives within the middle of the month and since the pills free days were at the end I had already skipped the time for my course. I would not worry too much. However, if you have not been regular taking the pills and have been having unprotected intercourse, then taking a pregnancy test would help to put your mind at ease.

highlight

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262610497991131/k2311a1026/10.26.08