Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

• by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives againtwo months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier andseem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that ...

• Althea Contraceptive Pills
      my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attacksince I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

theredquill replies :

Hello Ann, it is perfectly to start taking the pills any day of your cycle. However, if you are using the pill for birth control, remember to use an alternative form of contraception such as condom for a week. Hope this helps.

newbiewanderer says :

Hi. It’s my first time to take Althea pills. Is it okay to take it at any time of the day? At lunch time? or in the afternoon?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Newbiewandered,

You can take Althea at any point of time. Please consider following points before deciding about time:

- It MUST be taken once in 24 hours. Try your best to never miss any tablet.

- It should be taken daily at the same time. If you will not be able to take it daily at the same time, hormonal disturbances may result.

It is because of this fact that I don’t suggest users to take it in the afternoon. You might be away from home or doing shopping or with some friends in the afternoon. The best time is before going to bed.

If you have some compulsion, like working in the night shift, you can take it in the afternoon. No problem. Ensure to set a reminder in your mobile phone to take it daily at around the same time.

newbiewanderer says :

What if, I missed to take 1 tablet? Should I take 2 tablets as soon as I remember? Thanks again.

Galega says :

Yes, you can take two tablets/pills as soon as you remember.

Please remember that in no case you should take more than two pills within 24 hours.

And, try your best to not miss any pill for maximum protection from unwanted pregnancy.

theredquill replies :

Hi, you may take 2 pills within 24 hours to still enjoy the contraceptive benefit from the pill. If taken more than 24 hours, use another form of contraception when having intercourse.

Shad says :

Hi. Why is it not advised to take more than 2 pills within 24 hours? What can happen? Thanks.

theredquill replies :

Hi Shad, taking more than 2 pills within 24 hours can cause nausea and some light bleeding or spotting. Some OB recommend taking 2 pills for 2 consecutive days to catch up. However, the effectiveness of the pill is already compromised, so it is highly advisable to use an alternative form of contraception (i.e. condom) for the next seven days.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi you can take them anytime, but I can say from experience that any side effects seemed to be minimized when I started taking my pills with my breakfast in the morning compared to and lunch which was when I first started taking them.

Lori B. says :

You should take the pill the first Sunday after your cycle starts.

Traceh says :

It is okay to take it any day, but it is recommended to take it on the first day of your cycle in order to not disrupt your cycle. You should be safe after seven days, but I was once told by a nurse it is safe to wait a month instead.

bessy says :

can you help me how to take this althea??? can i take it even my last menstruation last week?

ani says :

take pills from day 1 to day 21 continuously, do not skip days. if you forget one day take the next pills as soon as possible and then continue taking pills normally as per schedule. day 22 to 28 is rest period so no pills during that time and you will get your period then. continue new pack after day 28.

Galega says :

Always start the first pack on the first day of your menstruation. If you do so, you will not only safe from unwanted pregnancy from the very first day, but also you will stay away from many side effects that happen with first time users.

Take one pill a day at around the same time. If you forget to take a pill, take it as soon as you remember. If you forget pills for consecutive two days, don’t take three pills in a single day.

Go for seven pill free days and start the new pack on the 8th day even when you are yet to get the period.

lex santos says :

When is the ovulation period after coming off althea?

Jennifer Davis says :

That depends upon your body. Usually, after coming off contraceptives the body’s ovulation period will pickup as normal so if you ovulated on the 14th of the months prior to taking Althea you will likely start ovulation around the same time now that you are off of it. However, understand that ovulation and periods can be delayed or even advanced some for a few weeks after stopping the Althea because your body is readjusting to hormonal levels without birth control. I would suggest speaking to your gynecologist to get a more specific time based on your medical history. Also, you can purchase ovulation tests at the grocery store to help you pinpoint your ovulation time exactly.

jopai says :

It`s my first month in taking althea contraceptive pill.I really din`t know how to use this kind of pill, and i have no idea that the first tblet should be taken on the first day of menstruation.So i took the first and second pill on the second day of my menstruation..I took the first pill on 8am and the second on 8pm of that same day..What is the side effect of this?,..And nwo,.I already finished the 22 tablets,..im waiting for my menstruation but its my fifth day of waitin and it did not come yet,..i`m woried,..pls help me,…

ani says :

you don’t have to take two pills in one day if you miss one day. always take one pill per day. there are no real side effects if you take two pills so don’t worry. if you don’t get your period for a few days into your rest time then talk to your doctor. maybe you need to change pills.

Galega says :

You seem to have not understood the basic features of Althea pill. It happens, and that is why it is always recommended to first consult your doctor before starting to take any contraceptive pill.

You had taken two pills on second day (first day, actually). No problem. Just try to not replicate it in future.

Delayed or advanced period is a common side effects with new users of Althea. Don’t worry, your period will become normal over time.

champaigne cruz says :

I have finished my second pack of Althea. I was due to take the first pill of the third pack two days ago. What will I do?

ani says :

start immediately as soon as possible and do not miss at all. make sure to get the time right too, if you have at 1 pm, you must have at 1 pm everyday. continue like this for 3 weeks and you should get your period normally on 4th week.

Galega says :

Start the new pack today itself. Don’t make unprotected physical relationship in the next seven days. And, you may have to prepare for some minor and perfectly bearable side effects like mild stomach pain and headache.

Next time always try to start the new pack after the completion of seven pill free days.

Pink says :

I have the same situation.. The difference is i was due to take the first pill of the next pack last week.. Do i take the pill today and do not make unprotected physical contact for seven days too? Then i am safe again? Thanks

Hi Pink,

Yes, this is absolutely the case. You should not allow unnecessary gap between two packs. Start the new pack after the completion of 7 pill free days. Don’t worry, your period will be regular over the time. New users face some sort of irregularity as their body try to adjust with the external dose of hormones.

anika says :

Hi

Its may first time to take a altea because i have a skin rashes it is okey to take althe

Galega says :

There are many reasons behind skin rashes. You need to first get it properly diagnosed by a dermatologist. I don t think Althea will help you in tackling the problem of skin rashes.

It actually works when the skin problems are related to irregular menstruation and hormonal imbalances.

ailyn says :

Im a breastfeeding mom. Can I used althea? how many percent does it works when it comes to birth control?

theredquill replies :

Hi ailyn, Just like any other birth cotrol pill, Althea is 98-99 effective if taken as instructed that is, at the same time every day except during the seven pill-free days . Now for a breastfeeding mom like you, mini-pills or those thant only contain progestin are recommended because they are scientifically proven to be safe for babies while nursing and they also provide effective contraception as long as taken at the same time each day. Pills that contain estrogen like Althea, on the other hand, compromise your ability to produce milk. So unless you want to continue breastfeeding your baby, you might want to stay away from Althea. The Trust Family Program the maker of Althea has a progestin-only pill that may be right for you. It`s called Daphne. I have a terrible experience with this pill though. I have written a review about Daphne and I believe it would help if you read it too. If you`re unsure of what to do and what to take, please consult your OB. Cheers, theredquill

Taggart Siao says :

You don’t need birth control when you’re breastfeeding. According to Campbell, Reece and Mitchell(1999), breastfeeding is a natural type of birth control. As long as you are breastfeeding, the possibility of getting pregnant is very low. Breastfeeding causes amenorrhea which means that your period is on hold thus, there is no egg to fertilize, therefore you won’t need birth control.

Pai says :

this holds true is the woman is exclusively breastfeeding her baby and does not mix feed with infant formula. also, it is only safe for the first six months.

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

There is a very low of getting pregnant if you are breastfeeding. However I have heard some people may get pregnant even they are breastfeeding. Contraceptive gives 96-98 percent effectivity. So you I discourage you using Althea while in breastfeeding try other way. You should consult the doctor about it.

Marianne says :

This is true. It is called lactational amenorrhea (LAM), a type of modern natural method of contraception. It also has high efficacy rate of around 96% so pills is still higher. I suggest you consult a family planning counsellor first if you are interested in the LAM method.

Judd Robbins says :

Lactational Amenorrhea (LAM) is a natural method of contraception when you exclusively breastfed the baby within 6 months of life, however, introducing complimentary food or drinks to the baby aged 6 months below, makes your period back on the scene, so you should use other type of pills, if your still breastfeeding while feeding the baby other foods use pills like daphne..or an injectibles for breastfeeding mom..

thisnthat says :

Personally, I wouldn’t use birth control pills while breastfeeding. I tried to avoid all types of medication, even if they say they are safe.

I wouldn’t count on breastfeeding acting as birth control either. It is less effective than the pill. While it says the chances of getting pregnant are low, there is still a chance. I wouldn’t take the chance.

I would practice other forms of birth control. Of course, it is your decision. These are just my opinions. It’s always good to talk to your doctor for recommendations.

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

Galega says :

You are finding irregularity in your period two months after stopping Althea (if you had taken it only for three months, up to Nov., as advised by your OB).

Unfortunately, this isn’t normal and can’t be said to be happening because of Althea. If spotting continue, you need to inform your doctor. I think you need to take Althea for a longer duration.

saphire says :

hi, it`s me sapphire, I have consumed almost the 2nd pack of altea, I have noticed tenderness on my breast but aside from it, before my mens after taking the ist pack I have pimple on tip of my nose which cause me so much disappoint because as far as I`ve read about althea that it`s a beauty pill but look I have pimple, what you call by this one? Is it just a reaction to my just consumed ist pack???I felt moody, and easily freaked out….and one more, is it safe taking althea, when in fact I`m also taking memory enhancer and some other vitamin supplements, is it ok if I have been taken these all?? Thanks and more power, hope I could have get some reply from you…

ani says :

if you are getting pimples and other side effects you should consider changing your pills. this just means your hormones are being weird due to this pill. there are many options in the market, talk to your doctor.

Galega says :

Althea may be called a beauty pill, but it is not a beauty pill.

If pimples are not spreading, i would suggest you to continue taking this pill. Clearly, the pimples you have experienced are result of the extra dose of estrogen hormone that your body is getting through this pill. It may get better after the completion of the second pack.

You can also get in touch with a skin specialist.

Breast tenderness is one of the many possible side effects of Althea Contraceptive Pills. There is nothing to worry about here as this side effect will disappear after the completion of the second pack.

theredquill replies :

Hi Sapphire, Althea birth control pills contain both estrogen and Cyproterone acetate, a combination which both prevents pregnancy and acne. Though Althea is marketed primarily as a contraceptive pill, many Althea users have experienced reduction of their acne and pimples. However, women react to hormones differently, and you might be experiencing an adverse reaction. Is this your first time to use birth control pills? If so, maybe you should wait a month more for your body to get used to them. However, if you’ve used a different brand of pills before and had not experience the same reactions you have with Althea, then it might be worth considering switching back or changing to another brand or hormonal combinations. It’s always safe to see your OB, if you’re not sure. Cheers

MELAY says :

It`s my first time to use althea. I have been consuming 19ablets when i did engaged in an intercourse, it`s my fourth day of my free tablet period and i stil don`t have my breakthrough bleeding. now i am starting to worry, could it be possible that i am pregnant? for your reply please

ani says :

try a pregnancy test and visit a doctor as soon as possible.

Galega says :

First thing you need to notice is the expected time of your period. Is the delay is from your expected time/normal time of the arrival of period? Or, it is a delay of just four days from the last pill.

New users may have to bear with delayed period after completing one pack of Althea. It is a side effects.

Whether your period starts in few days or not, you should start the pill on the next day of this seven pill free days.

As for pregnancy, I don’t see any possibility here.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi Melay, I would not worry too much. When I was on birth control I never had a period even during the pill free days. I think it has a lot to do with your body and the time at which your period would normally arrive. Mine usually arrives within the middle of the month and since the pills free days were at the end I had already skipped the time for my course. I would not worry too much. However, if you have not been regular taking the pills and have been having unprotected intercourse, then taking a pregnancy test would help to put your mind at ease.

Chari says :

I want to ask if Althea is safe to use to prevent or treat hirsutism? I am conscious about my facial hair and I want to eliminate or lessen it. And one thing more is it true that Althea causes pimples if you really don`t have pimples? Thank you. I will wait for your response

a says :

this pill is not meant for facial hair reduction so i doubt it will help for that reason. it might help with acne on the other hand as the hormones in the pills can aid towards acne reduction.

Galega says :

Hirsutism is caused by some traces of Androgen, a male hormone, in the female who experiences facial hair growth.

Althea, being loaded with female hormone estrogen, can help you to counter the tide of Androgen hormone and thus can control hirustism.

Nevertheless, before starting it, please consult a doctor.

theredquill replies :

According to MIMS, Althea (containing Cyproterone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) is indicated for contraception in women as well as control of acne and hirsutism. However, only a doctor or OB can prescribe it based on your problem or main complaint. As for the pimples, any woman can have an adverse reaction to hormonal contraceptive, and that might include skin changes.

Althea Contraceptive Pills
Working in the call center has disrupted my sense of time and my hormones. I used to have a very smooth and fair complexion, but due to stress and changing pattern of sleep I started having large pimples on my face and back. My menstrual cycle has ...

Althea oral contraceptive pills
October of 2008 when i started having heavy vaginal bleeding and irregularities on my monthly period. I had to undergo different medical exams and laboratories. But all the results was negative. So my ob-gyne suggested that I should take pills hoping to regulate my mothly period. ...

Althea Oral Contraceptive
A condition known as Endometriosis has introduced me to Althea. After the surgery, my doctor instructed me to take Althea for 3 months. It is an oral contraceptive composed of progesterone Cyproterone Acetate and estrogen Ethinyl Estradiol. Generally, a contraceptive is known for preventing conception, but in my case, ...

Tri Sprintec Contraceptive Pills
I have been taking the oral contraceptive pill Tri Sprintec since I had my baby boy 3 months ago. I was also on it prior to getting pregnant. I got pregnant during the first month I was OFF the pill, so it seems to work very well. The major ...

Trust Pill (Oral Contraceptive)
Its been almost a year since I was drinking this Trust Pill. Many people says that taking an oral contraceptive pill will cause me a problem. Like nausea, discharge, weight problem and even something that I might get a cyst. Oh I really don't know what to believe before. ...

Microgynon 30 contraceptive pill
This review is about the contraceptive pill "Microgynon 30" which has a dosage of 30mg of estrogen (ethinyl estradiol) and 150mg of progesterone (levenorgestrel). For me, this pill really didn't work and I attributed this to the low dose - I seem to suit the higher doses of pill better. ...

Diane-35 Contraceptive Pills/Birth Control Pills
I have been on Diane-35 contraceptive pills for the past 2 years of my life, as it was recommended by my gynae. I have heard alot of bad comments about contraceptive pills from the other people, and was at first quite skeptical about trying it. After trying out Diane-35 ...

VCF-Vaginal Contraceptive Foam
VCF is an easy to use Vaginal Contraceptive Foam. It is sold over the counter without a prescription. VCF comes in a metal can with applicator to use for contraceptive protection. I found that the product was easy enough to use. The biggest drawback was having ...

Alesse contraceptive pills
When I turned 35 years old, I began to have severe PMS symtoms that were not the usual symtoms. My usual symtoms were generally tolerable until that time. My PMS symtoms were to the extreme that I have ever experience. Erratic mood swings, pounding headaches, depression ...

Cerazette contraceptive pills
This product seems to be a very useful contraceptive which is working for a lot of people I know. But, to be able to make your choice of taking it or not, you must be aware of its possible side effects like I've noticed while I was taking this. ...

Gynera Contraceptive Pill
I used Gynera for over five years and I have to say that it is one of the best low dose contraceptive pills I've used. Since heavy flow and menstrual cramps have been a recurring problem for me, this is what my gynecologist prescribed. She said that it regulates ...

Marvelon Contraceptive Pill
This review is about Marvelon Contraceptive Pills. I was previously using Trust Contraceptive Pills but they all made me bloat. So I went to to the OB Gyne to ask for advise. I would like to use a pill that will not make me gain weight. The doctor said ...

Contraceptive Pills: Gynera Pills
A year ago, I went to see an OBgyne doctor for a check up regarding my hormonal imbalance. My menstrual period is not regular and I got really concern when I didn't have a "visitor" for about four months. I had my transvaginal procedure then she saw that my ...

Yasmin contraceptive pills
My doctor prescribed me Yasmin because I desparately needed another contraceptive due to the fact I wasn't able to stand out the bad side effects of the previous pills anymore. In fact, I've tried many and many brand but no one was working. This one was no exception and ...

Trust Contraceptive Pills
I used Trust Contraceptive Pills for about 5 years. Why I use this was mainly to prevent pregnancy and second, they say it can regularize my menstrual cycle, third it can make me gain weight. I chose this brand since it's the cheapest of all contraceptive pills available ...

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262610497991131/k2311a1026/10.26.08