Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

• by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives again

two months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier andseem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that ...
      • Althea Contraceptive Pills
      my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attacksince I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

Althea Contraceptive Pills
ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

theredquill replies :

Hello Ann, it is perfectly to start taking the pills any day of your cycle. However, if you are using the pill for birth control, remember to use an alternative form of contraception such as condom for a week. Hope this helps.

newbiewanderer says :

Hi. It’s my first time to take Althea pills. Is it okay to take it at any time of the day? At lunch time? or in the afternoon?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Newbiewandered,

You can take Althea at any point of time. Please consider following points before deciding about time:

- It MUST be taken once in 24 hours. Try your best to never miss any tablet.

- It should be taken daily at the same time. If you will not be able to take it daily at the same time, hormonal disturbances may result.

It is because of this fact that I don’t suggest users to take it in the afternoon. You might be away from home or doing shopping or with some friends in the afternoon. The best time is before going to bed.

If you have some compulsion, like working in the night shift, you can take it in the afternoon. No problem. Ensure to set a reminder in your mobile phone to take it daily at around the same time.

newbiewanderer says :

What if, I missed to take 1 tablet? Should I take 2 tablets as soon as I remember? Thanks again.

Galega says :

Yes, you can take two tablets/pills as soon as you remember.

Please remember that in no case you should take more than two pills within 24 hours.

And, try your best to not miss any pill for maximum protection from unwanted pregnancy.

theredquill replies :

Hi, you may take 2 pills within 24 hours to still enjoy the contraceptive benefit from the pill. If taken more than 24 hours, use another form of contraception when having intercourse.

Shad says :

Hi. Why is it not advised to take more than 2 pills within 24 hours? What can happen? Thanks.

theredquill replies :

Hi Shad, taking more than 2 pills within 24 hours can cause nausea and some light bleeding or spotting. Some OB recommend taking 2 pills for 2 consecutive days to catch up. However, the effectiveness of the pill is already compromised, so it is highly advisable to use an alternative form of contraception (i.e. condom) for the next seven days.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi you can take them anytime, but I can say from experience that any side effects seemed to be minimized when I started taking my pills with my breakfast in the morning compared to and lunch which was when I first started taking them.

Lori B. says :

You should take the pill the first Sunday after your cycle starts.

Traceh says :

It is okay to take it any day, but it is recommended to take it on the first day of your cycle in order to not disrupt your cycle. You should be safe after seven days, but I was once told by a nurse it is safe to wait a month instead.

Angelita Magana says :

Not it’s not okay. Contraceptive pills usually be effective in the next 24 hour the moment you take it. It’s very important to take it at the same time everyday of your intended days to take it. Let’s say today you took it at 8 in the morning, tomorrow you take it at 1 pm, you are not protected from 9 am to 1 pm then.

sss says :

why is it that after taking the althea pil i am expecting to have my menstration on the 22nd day. why is it that i havn`t had my period?

ani says :

from day 1 to 21 you will not have your period as you are on the pills, from day 22 to 28 you will have your period as you don’t take your pills then and it is rest period.

Galega says :

You seem to be the first time user of Althea. If yes, don’t worry. Slight delay period happens with first time users. It will get normal over time.

Althea expects you to get period during 7 pill free days (after the completion of 21 day pills). Even if you don’t get period during this phase, continue with the next pack. Over time, your period will become normal.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have intercourse after or during the 7day pill free days? For example i am about to start my 2nd pack of pills do i still need to wait for 7days again before having intercourse?

Galega says :

You don’t need to wait seven days with every new pack. Just ensure to take one pill daily at the same time.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have contact during the 7 pill free days?

Hi Kendra,

If you have taken all 21 hormonal pills strictly according to the instructions, without any miss, then it will be safe to have unprotected contract during the 7 pill free days.

DM says :

Hi. I just want to ask, is it safe to take althea for 1 year straight, and if I stop using it after a year, will it cause me to have an outbreak as well? Also, does talking althea won’t cause me any problems one day if already want to conceive? And is it it normal to have a discharge longer than 2months while I’m taking it? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you in advance.

Galega says :

There isn’t any problem in taking Althea for one year and then discontinuing it. You should just remember to stop it after completing the entire pack.

Further, please remember that it is not normal to have spotting continuously for two months. This is an abnormal situation, and demands immediate attention of a doctor. You should consult an OBGyne and discuss this issue.

DM says :

Thanks for the info. I have a follow up question. If I take althea for a year, will I not experience any problem one day if I already want to get pregnant? Also, if I stop using it, is there any chance an outbreak will occur? Thanks.

Galega says :

You will be ready to conceive without any problem after you stop taking Althea pill. There won’t be any problem with pregnancy because of Althea.

Further, if you discontinue it after completing the entire pack, then you will be safe. There should not be any skin issue like acne or pimple outbreaks.

jakhybide says :

my OB prescribed me to take althea pill, and it is my first time taking pills..im taking my 2nd althea pills today… it is also my 2nd day of menstruation but not heavy flow as what i expected, is it normal to have a mild flow of my menstruation? if i take the pill correctly as what my OB instructed to me, and have unprotected sex on the next month… will i get pregnant?

ani says :

as far as i know you should not be taking pills during your menstruation. you must take pills for 7 days and then you are protected until day 21. then you stop taking pills for 7 days for rest. you will not get pregnant from day 8 to 21 if you don’t skip pills and take them properly.

Galega says :

If you take pill as prescribed by your OB, then you will remain safe from unwanted pregnancy (up to 98%). The slight irregularity that you are seeing with your menstruation cycle is normal. One thing I can say here is that this is not related with Althea, as you have taken only two pills.

cess says :

I had an unprotected intercourse. my friend told me to used althea as ECP. she told me to take 4pills, then another 4pills after 12hrs. i immediately took 4pills, then took another 4 after 1hour instead My mistake I thought it was after an hour. What should i do??? Should i still take another 4pills after 12hrs from my last ingestion? help

Hey Cess,

After saying thanks to your friends, you should have also looked at the manufacturer advise of Althea. It is printed on the box, and also on a leaflet provided under the box.

I don’t know whether you will be protected or not, but one thing is quite CERTAIN. There are going to be some problem with your next menstruation cycle.

Althea isn’t a morning after pill, or Emergency Contraceptive Pill. It is a regular method of contraception where you are required to take pills daily according to a cycle.

There are many brands of ECP you could have tried.

Don’t think about taking any more Althea. If any problem happens with your next MC please contact doctor and disclose your mistake.

It should be fine.

Richelle says :

Hi Cess Why have you taken a total of 8 pills? It may cause you an overdose of the pill and it is prohibited.The best way to do is not take the another 4 pills, besides having an unsafe intercourse can result to pregnancy. Althea pills will be safe for you after taking it 7 days continuously, 1 pill per day. But if you have contact within seven days, try to use condom for protection.

angel says :

When you take althea , is it really neeDed to take it in your firSt day of menstruation?or can I take it after my menstruation?my mens was last nov.16, can I take althea now?

Galega says :

According to the manufacturer, Althea should be started on the first day of menstruation. It can also be started on any other day than the first day of menstruation. However, in that case, users need to stay away from unprotected physical relationship for the first 7 days.

Lala says :

How about for people who have been taking Althea for over a year now? Does the same thing apply? I always take the first pill of a new pack after my menstruation. Is this okay? Am I still safe?

Galega says :

You are already taking Althea for over one year and you are protected. There isn’t as such any problem in the way you are taking Althea. However, I would suggest you to start the next pack just after the completion of 7 pill free days - on the 8th day. You don’t need to start every pack on the first day of menstruation.

mercy05 says :

Hi. I take althea but I’m worried because in my first pack I forgot to take one pills. I saw that in my 3rd week pack. What happened to me? Thank you

Galega says :

If you had missed a pill, the protection level will be lower. It will be better if you use protection while going for physical relationship till you start the next pack.

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

Galega says :

You are finding irregularity in your period two months after stopping Althea (if you had taken it only for three months, up to Nov., as advised by your OB).

Unfortunately, this isn’t normal and can’t be said to be happening because of Althea. If spotting continue, you need to inform your doctor. I think you need to take Althea for a longer duration.

tina says :

I completely agree. You should have a check up after a month of spotting. It will also ease your mind.

loraine says :

hi, i was taking althea pills for almost 10mos. and not even break a rule in taking it. but this day, i have my period but i havent got a chance to buy althea, i decided that i will just buy tomorow and take two pills in one day, for a skip today, is that thing right?

ani says :

taking two pills is not an option. if you skip you should take the next pill as soon as possible (one a day) and continue taking for the next 3 weeks properly.

Galega says :

You can take two pills in one day, when you missed one pill on any given day. Never take more than two pills on a single day.

The above mentioned rule applies when you have missed a pill in the middle of the dose. It is not recommended for the first pill. You should not take first and second pill on the same day. The amount of active ingredients in the first pill is quite different.

Get the pack and start taking the pill daily. You can use some form of contraception in the next seven days for added security.

kennie says :

Im suffering from PCOS, my obgyne advice to take althea to regulate my cycle. is it ok if i stop it on 2nd mon? im planning to concive.

Galega says :

You can stop it at any time, but ONLY after completing the entire set of hormonal pills - 21 pills. Discontinuing in the middle of a pack can lead to many problems. Take the entire set and then consider discontinuing Althea.

kennie says :

thanks for the advice

highlight

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262610497991131/k2311a1026/10.26.08