Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives again two months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier and seem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attack since I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

Rating: 9

jeppiko says :

Hi I started taking althea last month. I am on my 4th day of pill-free days. Suddenly ,I noticed the light pink stain on my undies when i peed this morning. Is this normal? or the start of my period for this month? Should I start using pills again withoit completing the 7 days pill-free days? Thank you.

ani says :

you are supposes to get your period during your 7 day pill free time. it might be a lot it might be less.

ECCA says :

hi wat does it mean? 7 days pill free?

ani says :

you take the pill for 21 days and then you don’t take the pill for 7 days. you can choose to take the empty sugar pills for the 7 days if you wish.

Aiza says :

What is empty sugar pills

Hi Aiza,

The empty sugar pills are nothing, but placebo pill. Actually, you are not supposed to take any hormonal based contraceptive pills in these pill free days. So, you can take other pills like empty sugar pills or folic acid pills during these days.

If you don’t take any pill during this seven days, there will be no problem.

ailyn says :

Im a breastfeeding mom. Can I used althea? how many percent does it works when it comes to birth control?

theredquill replies :

Hi ailyn, Just like any other birth cotrol pill, Althea is 98-99 effective if taken as instructed that is, at the same time every day except during the seven pill-free days . Now for a breastfeeding mom like you, mini-pills or those thant only contain progestin are recommended because they are scientifically proven to be safe for babies while nursing and they also provide effective contraception as long as taken at the same time each day. Pills that contain estrogen like Althea, on the other hand, compromise your ability to produce milk. So unless you want to continue breastfeeding your baby, you might want to stay away from Althea. The Trust Family Program the maker of Althea has a progestin-only pill that may be right for you. It`s called Daphne. I have a terrible experience with this pill though. I have written a review about Daphne and I believe it would help if you read it too. If you`re unsure of what to do and what to take, please consult your OB. Cheers, theredquill

Taggart Siao says :

You don’t need birth control when you’re breastfeeding. According to Campbell, Reece and Mitchell(1999), breastfeeding is a natural type of birth control. As long as you are breastfeeding, the possibility of getting pregnant is very low. Breastfeeding causes amenorrhea which means that your period is on hold thus, there is no egg to fertilize, therefore you won’t need birth control.

Pai says :

this holds true is the woman is exclusively breastfeeding her baby and does not mix feed with infant formula. also, it is only safe for the first six months.

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

There is a very low of getting pregnant if you are breastfeeding. However I have heard some people may get pregnant even they are breastfeeding. Contraceptive gives 96-98 percent effectivity. So you I discourage you using Althea while in breastfeeding try other way. You should consult the doctor about it.

cristal says :

Hi This is my first time to take althea pills and I’m on my 9th day of taking the pills. Is it safe to have unprotected sex on my 9th day? Pls do respond. I’m kinda worried.

ani says :

yes its safe after day 7.

Galega says :

The rule is simple and very much clear.

a. If you start the pill on the first day of your menstruation cycle, you are protected from the very first day.

b. If you start the pill on any other day, you are not protected for the next seven days during which you need to use some contraceptive measures while making physical relationship.

You have not mentioned, being a new user, when you had started the pill. But, since it is 9th day, you are absolutely fine and safe.

ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

champaigne cruz says :

I have finished my second pack of Althea. I was due to take the first pill of the third pack two days ago. What will I do?

ani says :

start immediately as soon as possible and do not miss at all. make sure to get the time right too, if you have at 1 pm, you must have at 1 pm everyday. continue like this for 3 weeks and you should get your period normally on 4th week.

Galega says :

Start the new pack today itself. Don’t make unprotected physical relationship in the next seven days. And, you may have to prepare for some minor and perfectly bearable side effects like mild stomach pain and headache.

Next time always try to start the new pack after the completion of seven pill free days.

Pink says :

I have the same situation.. The difference is i was due to take the first pill of the next pack last week.. Do i take the pill today and do not make unprotected physical contact for seven days too? Then i am safe again? Thanks

saphire says :

Hi, I`m just curious bout Althea, since I`m now 39 years old, would the benefits of taking Althea still be effective to me??I have scalp problem now flaky, dry and itchy I have read bout the article that it has benefit on curing also the seborrhic dermattis and acne. Would it be the same as Diane`s benefit…I`de beem taking pills for years now but I have stopped since my youngest son now 6yo because I suffered too much pigmentation in my face Melasma in taking Mercilon Pills… Please help More power to your web… saphire23

ani says :

i don’t see why you can’t take it but you should talk to your doctor and have him her approve of it. there are other options in the market as well. you can explain your needs and reasons and maybe the doctor will recommend something for you.

Galega says :

You have already long experience with Diane 35. There should not be any problem for you when taking Althea. Both of these pills come with Estrogen and progestin hormones, and hence your body should react in almost the same way as it had with Diane 35.

Additionally, it may also help you in acne.

However, as far as melasma is concerned, you may have to bear with it. The manufacturer has included melasma in one of the possible side effects of Althea for new users. Fortunately, it is a rare side effect.

Please consult your doctor before starting the pill.

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

loreen says :

i take my althea on the first day of my period menstration. This is the first time i use this contraceptive. When I am safe to have intercourse?

ani says :

after seven days of taking the pill you are fully protected and you can have intercourse.

Galega says :

Technically, you are free from the risk of unwanted pregnancy from the very first day of taking Althea. Note, this rule applies only for those users who start it on the first day of menstruation. Others need seven days protection.

Since you are a new user, I would suggest you to go for some barrier methods like condom while making sex during the next seven days.

saphire says :

hi, it`s me sapphire, I have consumed almost the 2nd pack of altea, I have noticed tenderness on my breast but aside from it, before my mens after taking the ist pack I have pimple on tip of my nose which cause me so much disappoint because as far as I`ve read about althea that it`s a beauty pill but look I have pimple, what you call by this one? Is it just a reaction to my just consumed ist pack???I felt moody, and easily freaked out….and one more, is it safe taking althea, when in fact I`m also taking memory enhancer and some other vitamin supplements, is it ok if I have been taken these all?? Thanks and more power, hope I could have get some reply from you…

ani says :

if you are getting pimples and other side effects you should consider changing your pills. this just means your hormones are being weird due to this pill. there are many options in the market, talk to your doctor.

Galega says :

Althea may be called a beauty pill, but it is not a beauty pill.

If pimples are not spreading, i would suggest you to continue taking this pill. Clearly, the pimples you have experienced are result of the extra dose of estrogen hormone that your body is getting through this pill. It may get better after the completion of the second pack.

You can also get in touch with a skin specialist.

Breast tenderness is one of the many possible side effects of Althea Contraceptive Pills. There is nothing to worry about here as this side effect will disappear after the completion of the second pack.

fery says :

im gay, is it okay for me to take althea? they say, aside from being a contraceptive its also a beauty pill. Can i take althea?

ani says :

no this pill is for women only. it supplies the body with estrogen, a female hormone, i dont think you want that.

Galega says :

It is not supposed to be taken by male. If you are a male gay, you should not take this pill.

If you are a female, you can take it. However, for that you are required to get prescription from a doctor.

And, it is not a beauty pill. Though it will help you to regularize menstruation, balance hormone and controlling the menace of acne/pimples.