Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

• by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives againtwo months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier andseem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that ...

• Althea Contraceptive Pills
      my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attacksince I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

theredquill replies :

Hello Ann, it is perfectly to start taking the pills any day of your cycle. However, if you are using the pill for birth control, remember to use an alternative form of contraception such as condom for a week. Hope this helps.

newbiewanderer says :

Hi. It’s my first time to take Althea pills. Is it okay to take it at any time of the day? At lunch time? or in the afternoon?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Newbiewandered,

You can take Althea at any point of time. Please consider following points before deciding about time:

- It MUST be taken once in 24 hours. Try your best to never miss any tablet.

- It should be taken daily at the same time. If you will not be able to take it daily at the same time, hormonal disturbances may result.

It is because of this fact that I don’t suggest users to take it in the afternoon. You might be away from home or doing shopping or with some friends in the afternoon. The best time is before going to bed.

If you have some compulsion, like working in the night shift, you can take it in the afternoon. No problem. Ensure to set a reminder in your mobile phone to take it daily at around the same time.

newbiewanderer says :

What if, I missed to take 1 tablet? Should I take 2 tablets as soon as I remember? Thanks again.

Galega says :

Yes, you can take two tablets/pills as soon as you remember.

Please remember that in no case you should take more than two pills within 24 hours.

And, try your best to not miss any pill for maximum protection from unwanted pregnancy.

theredquill replies :

Hi, you may take 2 pills within 24 hours to still enjoy the contraceptive benefit from the pill. If taken more than 24 hours, use another form of contraception when having intercourse.

Shad says :

Hi. Why is it not advised to take more than 2 pills within 24 hours? What can happen? Thanks.

theredquill replies :

Hi Shad, taking more than 2 pills within 24 hours can cause nausea and some light bleeding or spotting. Some OB recommend taking 2 pills for 2 consecutive days to catch up. However, the effectiveness of the pill is already compromised, so it is highly advisable to use an alternative form of contraception (i.e. condom) for the next seven days.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi you can take them anytime, but I can say from experience that any side effects seemed to be minimized when I started taking my pills with my breakfast in the morning compared to and lunch which was when I first started taking them.

Lori B. says :

You should take the pill the first Sunday after your cycle starts.

Traceh says :

It is okay to take it any day, but it is recommended to take it on the first day of your cycle in order to not disrupt your cycle. You should be safe after seven days, but I was once told by a nurse it is safe to wait a month instead.

Chari says :

I want to ask if Althea is safe to use to prevent or treat hirsutism? I am conscious about my facial hair and I want to eliminate or lessen it. And one thing more is it true that Althea causes pimples if you really don`t have pimples? Thank you. I will wait for your response

a says :

this pill is not meant for facial hair reduction so i doubt it will help for that reason. it might help with acne on the other hand as the hormones in the pills can aid towards acne reduction.

Galega says :

Hirsutism is caused by some traces of Androgen, a male hormone, in the female who experiences facial hair growth.

Althea, being loaded with female hormone estrogen, can help you to counter the tide of Androgen hormone and thus can control hirustism.

Nevertheless, before starting it, please consult a doctor.

theredquill replies :

According to MIMS, Althea (containing Cyproterone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) is indicated for contraception in women as well as control of acne and hirsutism. However, only a doctor or OB can prescribe it based on your problem or main complaint. As for the pimples, any woman can have an adverse reaction to hormonal contraceptive, and that might include skin changes.

rea says :

do i need prescription to get althea???

ani says :

most birth control pills are prescription only. check with you doctor.

Galega says :

It depends on country where you are residing. check with your pharmist or ask your doctor.

As for needs for prescription, I would say that is required. Before starting the pill, you should always see a doctor and clear all apprehensions. Doctors may also tell you about the most suitable pills after going for extensive check ups. In fact, getting it through prescription may lead to less side effects.

bessy says :

can you help me how to take this althea??? can i take it even my last menstruation last week?

ani says :

take pills from day 1 to day 21 continuously, do not skip days. if you forget one day take the next pills as soon as possible and then continue taking pills normally as per schedule. day 22 to 28 is rest period so no pills during that time and you will get your period then. continue new pack after day 28.

Galega says :

Always start the first pack on the first day of your menstruation. If you do so, you will not only safe from unwanted pregnancy from the very first day, but also you will stay away from many side effects that happen with first time users.

Take one pill a day at around the same time. If you forget to take a pill, take it as soon as you remember. If you forget pills for consecutive two days, don’t take three pills in a single day.

Go for seven pill free days and start the new pack on the 8th day even when you are yet to get the period.

akia says :

after using althea, is it possible to get pregnant that early?

ani says :

if you are trying to conceive you should stop taking althea altogether.

Galega says :

You are using Althea, it means you are not planning to get pregnant. May be, you are thinking about the days after you will stop using it.

Yes, when you stop using Althea, you are ready to get pregnant. Please ensure that you don’t quit Althea in the middle of a pack. Complete the pack, and then stop using it.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have intercourse after or during the 7day pill free days? For example i am about to start my 2nd pack of pills do i still need to wait for 7days again before having intercourse?

Galega says :

You don’t need to wait seven days with every new pack. Just ensure to take one pill daily at the same time.

Kendra says :

Is it safe to have contact during the 7 pill free days?

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

Galega says :

You are finding irregularity in your period two months after stopping Althea (if you had taken it only for three months, up to Nov., as advised by your OB).

Unfortunately, this isn’t normal and can’t be said to be happening because of Althea. If spotting continue, you need to inform your doctor. I think you need to take Althea for a longer duration.

MELAY says :

It`s my first time to use althea. I have been consuming 19ablets when i did engaged in an intercourse, it`s my fourth day of my free tablet period and i stil don`t have my breakthrough bleeding. now i am starting to worry, could it be possible that i am pregnant? for your reply please

ani says :

try a pregnancy test and visit a doctor as soon as possible.

Galega says :

First thing you need to notice is the expected time of your period. Is the delay is from your expected time/normal time of the arrival of period? Or, it is a delay of just four days from the last pill.

New users may have to bear with delayed period after completing one pack of Althea. It is a side effects.

Whether your period starts in few days or not, you should start the pill on the next day of this seven pill free days.

As for pregnancy, I don’t see any possibility here.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi Melay, I would not worry too much. When I was on birth control I never had a period even during the pill free days. I think it has a lot to do with your body and the time at which your period would normally arrive. Mine usually arrives within the middle of the month and since the pills free days were at the end I had already skipped the time for my course. I would not worry too much. However, if you have not been regular taking the pills and have been having unprotected intercourse, then taking a pregnancy test would help to put your mind at ease.

geraldine moreno says :

my friend started taking althea on dec 1 this year,on the 8th she thought she forgot to take the pill on the 7th so she took two tablets on that day dec 8 ,however she found out that she didn`t miss the tablet on the 7th, and when she checked the remaining pills she found out that instead of having the pills to be up to the 20th there are only remaining pills up to dec 19.what does she need to do,should she continue taking the remainig pills or start a new schedule with another set of pills.Furthermore, she had unprotected sex on the december 12th, is there a chance of her getting pregnant?

ani says :

you should never take two pills. even if you did its okay just normally consume 1 pill after that day. do not skip. its okay if you have run out of pills, you will just have your period. continue pills on first day of month.

Galega says :

She had unprotected sex on 12th, that should not be a matter of concern. She may face some side effects like headache or nausea, but she should be free from pregnancy as she has not missed the pill. Ask your friend to complete the entire pack and then go for seven pill free days and then start the next pack on scheduled time. She should be fine.

veniza joy macaraeg says :

hi.i`m 19 years old and interested in taking althea pills to regulate my menstruation and my pimples. i`ve read reviews that aside from contraception and for the menstruation, it has also effects like bust size increase and other effects on the physical side of a woman…if i stop taking the pills, will my body return to it`s original state? will my pimples return?

ani says :

maybe the hormones in the pills had an effect on you to cause bust size increase and other physical changes. if you are worried talk to your doctor.

Galega says :

Don’t take decisions on hearsay. You are just 19 years old and hence it is mandatory for you to consult a doctor before starting Althea. If you feel some serious side effects like weight gain then consult your doctor again. Ideally, you should be fine and some side effects mentioned by you are not common. It depends on the reaction your body is going to have with the extra dose of hormones that are pumped through this pill.

Althea Contraceptive Pills
Working in the call center has disrupted my sense of time and my hormones. I used to have a very smooth and fair complexion, but due to stress and changing pattern of sleep I started having large pimples on my face and back. My menstrual cycle has ...

Althea oral contraceptive pills
October of 2008 when i started having heavy vaginal bleeding and irregularities on my monthly period. I had to undergo different medical exams and laboratories. But all the results was negative. So my ob-gyne suggested that I should take pills hoping to regulate my mothly period. ...

Althea Oral Contraceptive
A condition known as Endometriosis has introduced me to Althea. After the surgery, my doctor instructed me to take Althea for 3 months. It is an oral contraceptive composed of progesterone Cyproterone Acetate and estrogen Ethinyl Estradiol. Generally, a contraceptive is known for preventing conception, but in my case, ...

Tri Sprintec Contraceptive Pills
I have been taking the oral contraceptive pill Tri Sprintec since I had my baby boy 3 months ago. I was also on it prior to getting pregnant. I got pregnant during the first month I was OFF the pill, so it seems to work very well. The major ...

Trust Pill (Oral Contraceptive)
Its been almost a year since I was drinking this Trust Pill. Many people says that taking an oral contraceptive pill will cause me a problem. Like nausea, discharge, weight problem and even something that I might get a cyst. Oh I really don't know what to believe before. ...

Microgynon 30 contraceptive pill
This review is about the contraceptive pill "Microgynon 30" which has a dosage of 30mg of estrogen (ethinyl estradiol) and 150mg of progesterone (levenorgestrel). For me, this pill really didn't work and I attributed this to the low dose - I seem to suit the higher doses of pill better. ...

Diane-35 Contraceptive Pills/Birth Control Pills
I have been on Diane-35 contraceptive pills for the past 2 years of my life, as it was recommended by my gynae. I have heard alot of bad comments about contraceptive pills from the other people, and was at first quite skeptical about trying it. After trying out Diane-35 ...

VCF-Vaginal Contraceptive Foam
VCF is an easy to use Vaginal Contraceptive Foam. It is sold over the counter without a prescription. VCF comes in a metal can with applicator to use for contraceptive protection. I found that the product was easy enough to use. The biggest drawback was having ...

Alesse contraceptive pills
When I turned 35 years old, I began to have severe PMS symtoms that were not the usual symtoms. My usual symtoms were generally tolerable until that time. My PMS symtoms were to the extreme that I have ever experience. Erratic mood swings, pounding headaches, depression ...

Cerazette contraceptive pills
This product seems to be a very useful contraceptive which is working for a lot of people I know. But, to be able to make your choice of taking it or not, you must be aware of its possible side effects like I've noticed while I was taking this. ...

Gynera Contraceptive Pill
I used Gynera for over five years and I have to say that it is one of the best low dose contraceptive pills I've used. Since heavy flow and menstrual cramps have been a recurring problem for me, this is what my gynecologist prescribed. She said that it regulates ...

Marvelon Contraceptive Pill
This review is about Marvelon Contraceptive Pills. I was previously using Trust Contraceptive Pills but they all made me bloat. So I went to to the OB Gyne to ask for advise. I would like to use a pill that will not make me gain weight. The doctor said ...

Contraceptive Pills: Gynera Pills
A year ago, I went to see an OBgyne doctor for a check up regarding my hormonal imbalance. My menstrual period is not regular and I got really concern when I didn't have a "visitor" for about four months. I had my transvaginal procedure then she saw that my ...

Yasmin contraceptive pills
My doctor prescribed me Yasmin because I desparately needed another contraceptive due to the fact I wasn't able to stand out the bad side effects of the previous pills anymore. In fact, I've tried many and many brand but no one was working. This one was no exception and ...

Trust Contraceptive Pills
I used Trust Contraceptive Pills for about 5 years. Why I use this was mainly to prevent pregnancy and second, they say it can regularize my menstrual cycle, third it can make me gain weight. I chose this brand since it's the cheapest of all contraceptive pills available ...

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262610497991131/k2311a1026/10.26.08