Althea Contraceptive Pills
  • And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite
  • Likewise, I noticed that my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over

• by theredquill

Althea is the latest 21-cycle birth-control pill product released by the Trust Family Program (TFP), which also manufactures the Trust Pill, Daphne, and Lady. Althea is referred to as TFP’s “beauty pill” because it has the same formulation as that of the more expensive Diane-35.

I’ve started taking oral contraceptives againtwo months ago after a one-year break, so I was looking at something that won’t shock my system and throw my hormones out of balance. My OB recommended Althea because it’s low-dose and it’s good for the skin. On the first month, I could feel my breasts getting heavier andseem bigger. And unlike before when I was taking another brand of pills, I did not experience bloating and there was absolutely no change in my appetite. On the second month, my skin started producing less and less sebum, and my pimples began to dry out. Likewise, I noticed that ...

• Althea Contraceptive Pills
      my skin is giving out a pinkish glow and it feels smooth all over. It’s true! It’s doing wonders for my skin! I am prone to migraine headaches and have had serious problems with other oral contraceptives before, which aggravated my migraine symptoms. Surprisingly, I haven’t experience a migraine attacksince I started taking Althea, not even once.

I am on my third month now and so far I am happy with Althea. It does not only effectively protect me from unplanned pregnancy, but it is also working to make me feel even more beautiful—what with the glowing skin, fuller breasts, and all.

bessy says :

can you help me how to take this althea??? can i take it even my last menstruation last week?

ani says :

take pills from day 1 to day 21 continuously, do not skip days. if you forget one day take the next pills as soon as possible and then continue taking pills normally as per schedule. day 22 to 28 is rest period so no pills during that time and you will get your period then. continue new pack after day 28.

Galega says :

Always start the first pack on the first day of your menstruation. If you do so, you will not only safe from unwanted pregnancy from the very first day, but also you will stay away from many side effects that happen with first time users.

Take one pill a day at around the same time. If you forget to take a pill, take it as soon as you remember. If you forget pills for consecutive two days, don’t take three pills in a single day.

Go for seven pill free days and start the new pack on the 8th day even when you are yet to get the period.

jeppiko says :

Hi I started taking althea last month. I am on my 4th day of pill-free days. Suddenly ,I noticed the light pink stain on my undies when i peed this morning. Is this normal? or the start of my period for this month? Should I start using pills again withoit completing the 7 days pill-free days? Thank you.

ani says :

you are supposes to get your period during your 7 day pill free time. it might be a lot it might be less.

ECCA says :

hi wat does it mean? 7 days pill free?

ani says :

you take the pill for 21 days and then you don’t take the pill for 7 days. you can choose to take the empty sugar pills for the 7 days if you wish.

Aiza says :

What is empty sugar pills

Hi Aiza,

The empty sugar pills are nothing, but placebo pill. Actually, you are not supposed to take any hormonal based contraceptive pills in these pill free days. So, you can take other pills like empty sugar pills or folic acid pills during these days.

If you don’t take any pill during this seven days, there will be no problem.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi I have been taking birth control for several years and I can tell you that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. During the 7 pill free days, you are likely to experience light to heavy spotting or a full period. My suggestion to you is to wear a light pantyliner during those 7 days to prevent staining of your undies. Hope this helps.

cristal says :

Hi This is my first time to take althea pills and I’m on my 9th day of taking the pills. Is it safe to have unprotected sex on my 9th day? Pls do respond. I’m kinda worried.

ani says :

yes its safe after day 7.

Galega says :

The rule is simple and very much clear.

a. If you start the pill on the first day of your menstruation cycle, you are protected from the very first day.

b. If you start the pill on any other day, you are not protected for the next seven days during which you need to use some contraceptive measures while making physical relationship.

You have not mentioned, being a new user, when you had started the pill. But, since it is 9th day, you are absolutely fine and safe.

ann says :

its my first time to take althea pills..i just want to ask if is it okay to take it even if its not my first day of menstrual period and even if its not on sunday?? im confused thanks..

Hi Ann,

Yes, you can take Althea, if it is not the first day of your menstruation. However, you will not remain protected from pregnancy for the next seven days (even though you are taking the pill on exact time daily). That is why, it is better if you start Althea pill cycle on the first day of your menstruation.

There is no difference whether it is Sunday or any other day. You can start the pill on any day.

champaigne cruz says :

I have finished my second pack of Althea. I was due to take the first pill of the third pack two days ago. What will I do?

ani says :

start immediately as soon as possible and do not miss at all. make sure to get the time right too, if you have at 1 pm, you must have at 1 pm everyday. continue like this for 3 weeks and you should get your period normally on 4th week.

Galega says :

Start the new pack today itself. Don’t make unprotected physical relationship in the next seven days. And, you may have to prepare for some minor and perfectly bearable side effects like mild stomach pain and headache.

Next time always try to start the new pack after the completion of seven pill free days.

Pink says :

I have the same situation.. The difference is i was due to take the first pill of the next pack last week.. Do i take the pill today and do not make unprotected physical contact for seven days too? Then i am safe again? Thanks

Hi Pink,

Yes, this is absolutely the case. You should not allow unnecessary gap between two packs. Start the new pack after the completion of 7 pill free days. Don’t worry, your period will be regular over the time. New users face some sort of irregularity as their body try to adjust with the external dose of hormones.

ailyn says :

Im a breastfeeding mom. Can I used althea? how many percent does it works when it comes to birth control?

theredquill replies :

Hi ailyn, Just like any other birth cotrol pill, Althea is 98-99 effective if taken as instructed that is, at the same time every day except during the seven pill-free days . Now for a breastfeeding mom like you, mini-pills or those thant only contain progestin are recommended because they are scientifically proven to be safe for babies while nursing and they also provide effective contraception as long as taken at the same time each day. Pills that contain estrogen like Althea, on the other hand, compromise your ability to produce milk. So unless you want to continue breastfeeding your baby, you might want to stay away from Althea. The Trust Family Program the maker of Althea has a progestin-only pill that may be right for you. It`s called Daphne. I have a terrible experience with this pill though. I have written a review about Daphne and I believe it would help if you read it too. If you`re unsure of what to do and what to take, please consult your OB. Cheers, theredquill

Taggart Siao says :

You don’t need birth control when you’re breastfeeding. According to Campbell, Reece and Mitchell(1999), breastfeeding is a natural type of birth control. As long as you are breastfeeding, the possibility of getting pregnant is very low. Breastfeeding causes amenorrhea which means that your period is on hold thus, there is no egg to fertilize, therefore you won’t need birth control.

Pai says :

this holds true is the woman is exclusively breastfeeding her baby and does not mix feed with infant formula. also, it is only safe for the first six months.

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

There is a very low of getting pregnant if you are breastfeeding. However I have heard some people may get pregnant even they are breastfeeding. Contraceptive gives 96-98 percent effectivity. So you I discourage you using Althea while in breastfeeding try other way. You should consult the doctor about it.

Marianne says :

This is true. It is called lactational amenorrhea (LAM), a type of modern natural method of contraception. It also has high efficacy rate of around 96% so pills is still higher. I suggest you consult a family planning counsellor first if you are interested in the LAM method.

Judd Robbins says :

Lactational Amenorrhea (LAM) is a natural method of contraception when you exclusively breastfed the baby within 6 months of life, however, introducing complimentary food or drinks to the baby aged 6 months below, makes your period back on the scene, so you should use other type of pills, if your still breastfeeding while feeding the baby other foods use pills like daphne..or an injectibles for breastfeeding mom..

saphire says :

Hi, I`m just curious bout Althea, since I`m now 39 years old, would the benefits of taking Althea still be effective to me??I have scalp problem now flaky, dry and itchy I have read bout the article that it has benefit on curing also the seborrhic dermattis and acne. Would it be the same as Diane`s benefit…I`de beem taking pills for years now but I have stopped since my youngest son now 6yo because I suffered too much pigmentation in my face Melasma in taking Mercilon Pills… Please help More power to your web… saphire23

ani says :

i don’t see why you can’t take it but you should talk to your doctor and have him her approve of it. there are other options in the market as well. you can explain your needs and reasons and maybe the doctor will recommend something for you.

Galega says :

You have already long experience with Diane 35. There should not be any problem for you when taking Althea. Both of these pills come with Estrogen and progestin hormones, and hence your body should react in almost the same way as it had with Diane 35.

Additionally, it may also help you in acne.

However, as far as melasma is concerned, you may have to bear with it. The manufacturer has included melasma in one of the possible side effects of Althea for new users. Fortunately, it is a rare side effect.

Please consult your doctor before starting the pill.

ann says :

iam 19yrs. old and my period is too long since i`m in grade school. I went to my o.b. and she prescribed me to take Althea contraceptive pills for three months september to november and after it, observe for 6 months. i had my december period but only had spotting last january. is this still a side effect to be tolerated and observe or should i went to my o.b. for assistance?

ani says :

i think its normal to see spotting but you should definitely get your period by the 4th week. if you did not you should talk to your doctor.

Angel says :

It is normal to experience irregularities in menstruation especially if you are a new user of the product. There are other factors that affect the menstruation such as forgetting or accidentally skipping a tablet when you forgot about it. It this happens a lot and it is not how your menstruation usually is, you should ask your OB about it just to be sure.

loreen says :

i take my althea on the first day of my period menstration. This is the first time i use this contraceptive. When I am safe to have intercourse?

ani says :

after seven days of taking the pill you are fully protected and you can have intercourse.

Galega says :

Technically, you are free from the risk of unwanted pregnancy from the very first day of taking Althea. Note, this rule applies only for those users who start it on the first day of menstruation. Others need seven days protection.

Since you are a new user, I would suggest you to go for some barrier methods like condom while making sex during the next seven days.

Jennifer Davis says :

Most contraceptive pills start protecting you from the first day, particularly if you begin the pills on the first day of your period. However, it is generally better to either wait a full 7 to 14 days for maximum absorption before having intercourse, or continue to use a condom for at least a week while first starting your birth control. My husband and I used condoms for the first week that I was on my birth control and we were just fine after that. I suggest waiting at least 7 days or using extra protection for the first week just to give the althea time to absorb into your body.

saphire says :

hi, it`s me sapphire, I have consumed almost the 2nd pack of altea, I have noticed tenderness on my breast but aside from it, before my mens after taking the ist pack I have pimple on tip of my nose which cause me so much disappoint because as far as I`ve read about althea that it`s a beauty pill but look I have pimple, what you call by this one? Is it just a reaction to my just consumed ist pack???I felt moody, and easily freaked out….and one more, is it safe taking althea, when in fact I`m also taking memory enhancer and some other vitamin supplements, is it ok if I have been taken these all?? Thanks and more power, hope I could have get some reply from you…

ani says :

if you are getting pimples and other side effects you should consider changing your pills. this just means your hormones are being weird due to this pill. there are many options in the market, talk to your doctor.

Galega says :

Althea may be called a beauty pill, but it is not a beauty pill.

If pimples are not spreading, i would suggest you to continue taking this pill. Clearly, the pimples you have experienced are result of the extra dose of estrogen hormone that your body is getting through this pill. It may get better after the completion of the second pack.

You can also get in touch with a skin specialist.

Breast tenderness is one of the many possible side effects of Althea Contraceptive Pills. There is nothing to worry about here as this side effect will disappear after the completion of the second pack.

Althea Contraceptive Pills
Working in the call center has disrupted my sense of time and my hormones. I used to have a very smooth and fair complexion, but due to stress and changing pattern of sleep I started having large pimples on my face and back. My menstrual cycle has ...

Althea oral contraceptive pills
October of 2008 when i started having heavy vaginal bleeding and irregularities on my monthly period. I had to undergo different medical exams and laboratories. But all the results was negative. So my ob-gyne suggested that I should take pills hoping to regulate my mothly period. ...

Althea Oral Contraceptive
A condition known as Endometriosis has introduced me to Althea. After the surgery, my doctor instructed me to take Althea for 3 months. It is an oral contraceptive composed of progesterone Cyproterone Acetate and estrogen Ethinyl Estradiol. Generally, a contraceptive is known for preventing conception, but in my case, ...

Tri Sprintec Contraceptive Pills
I have been taking the oral contraceptive pill Tri Sprintec since I had my baby boy 3 months ago. I was also on it prior to getting pregnant. I got pregnant during the first month I was OFF the pill, so it seems to work very well. The major ...

Trust Pill (Oral Contraceptive)
Its been almost a year since I was drinking this Trust Pill. Many people says that taking an oral contraceptive pill will cause me a problem. Like nausea, discharge, weight problem and even something that I might get a cyst. Oh I really don't know what to believe before. ...

Microgynon 30 contraceptive pill
This review is about the contraceptive pill "Microgynon 30" which has a dosage of 30mg of estrogen (ethinyl estradiol) and 150mg of progesterone (levenorgestrel). For me, this pill really didn't work and I attributed this to the low dose - I seem to suit the higher doses of pill better. ...

Diane-35 Contraceptive Pills/Birth Control Pills
I have been on Diane-35 contraceptive pills for the past 2 years of my life, as it was recommended by my gynae. I have heard alot of bad comments about contraceptive pills from the other people, and was at first quite skeptical about trying it. After trying out Diane-35 ...

VCF-Vaginal Contraceptive Foam
VCF is an easy to use Vaginal Contraceptive Foam. It is sold over the counter without a prescription. VCF comes in a metal can with applicator to use for contraceptive protection. I found that the product was easy enough to use. The biggest drawback was having ...

Alesse contraceptive pills
When I turned 35 years old, I began to have severe PMS symtoms that were not the usual symtoms. My usual symtoms were generally tolerable until that time. My PMS symtoms were to the extreme that I have ever experience. Erratic mood swings, pounding headaches, depression ...

Cerazette contraceptive pills
This product seems to be a very useful contraceptive which is working for a lot of people I know. But, to be able to make your choice of taking it or not, you must be aware of its possible side effects like I've noticed while I was taking this. ...

Gynera Contraceptive Pill
I used Gynera for over five years and I have to say that it is one of the best low dose contraceptive pills I've used. Since heavy flow and menstrual cramps have been a recurring problem for me, this is what my gynecologist prescribed. She said that it regulates ...

Marvelon Contraceptive Pill
This review is about Marvelon Contraceptive Pills. I was previously using Trust Contraceptive Pills but they all made me bloat. So I went to to the OB Gyne to ask for advise. I would like to use a pill that will not make me gain weight. The doctor said ...

Contraceptive Pills: Gynera Pills
A year ago, I went to see an OBgyne doctor for a check up regarding my hormonal imbalance. My menstrual period is not regular and I got really concern when I didn't have a "visitor" for about four months. I had my transvaginal procedure then she saw that my ...

Yasmin contraceptive pills
My doctor prescribed me Yasmin because I desparately needed another contraceptive due to the fact I wasn't able to stand out the bad side effects of the previous pills anymore. In fact, I've tried many and many brand but no one was working. This one was no exception and ...

Trust Contraceptive Pills
I used Trust Contraceptive Pills for about 5 years. Why I use this was mainly to prevent pregnancy and second, they say it can regularize my menstrual cycle, third it can make me gain weight. I chose this brand since it's the cheapest of all contraceptive pills available ...

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation of any kind was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the reviewed item. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262610497991131/k2311a1026/10.26.08